PDA

View Full Version : Fear of going dizzy.

davidbirch321
23-03-13, 14:34
Hi there,

I am new to this site and this is my first post.

i have got a fear of going dizzy in certain situations.
when ever i am in a situation where there are lots of people or a place i feel trapped such as the cinema, theatres, school assemble, exam halls.
I start to feel the panic attack coming. it will mostly occur when i know that i cant get out easily e.g. if i am sitting in the middle of the hall so i usually find myself trying to sit on the end of a row, and it makes the symptoms less severe.

although recently (past few months) I think the dizziness has entered into the conscious part of the brain. now i think about the dizziness every 5 minuits - an hour not necessarily feel the dizziness or worry about it but just thinking about it.

I think this all started when i was about 12 and i was out at a theme park, and accidently went into a room that was pitch black, when i was in there i felt the dizziness and started the panic really badly because i couldn't find the exit.

does anyone have anything simular?

times71
23-03-13, 14:51
All the time dude. When I go out for a meal i have to have the end seat, so I can make a quick getaway when needed. Supermarkets are normally worse for me. Though, I have also had the dizzy thing for years.. i have never once passed out. You are actually fearing the fear... sounds odd but its common dude.

davidbirch321
23-03-13, 14:57
i can relate and totally agree with the "feeling the fear"
as i am currently going though a fear of feeling a dropping sensation phase. (for the past week or so)
and whenever i am worrying about it and sitting still or sometimes going to bed i start to feel this dropping sensation.
before i use to going through a feel of spinning only in bed phase, and i only ever felt the spinning in bed.

Bekzie
23-03-13, 19:42
Hi David :welcome:
Yes I get it all the time too, always make sure I am near a door or exit, I have to have an exit route planned just in case. I Cant go to the cinema anymore I get to panicky. I am using the bach rescue remedies to help and they are working for me :)

BobbyDog
23-03-13, 19:44
Funny mine started when I went on an outward bound course with high school, they took us potholing - just wouldn't happen now. We had to slither through a very small slash in the rock on our bellies. I had a panic attack.

I still have an intense fear of being trapped, even if someone comes to my house I get extremely anxious and hyperventilate until they have gone. With family as well as friends - sad or what!

almamatters
23-03-13, 19:53
Me too, I can't go to places where I am going to feel trapped, I hyperventilate and feel dizzy and faint. I practice breathing exercises which seem to help a bit. Shops , car washes, shopping centres, places where I can't see a door and exit are a problem.

:welcome: to the site David.

Col
23-03-13, 21:06
Hi - absolutly one of my worse fears and the one Thing that's directly and firstly associated with my panic attacks and how they started originally 2yrs ago! Infact mine is more like fear of fainting as opposed to dizziness.

Crowded places, supermarkets etc Only make me feel worse, when I'm like this! I can't offer much help because I still struggle with this from time to time.

Hopefully with time the intensity of this worry will lessen. Fingers X

footballking
24-03-13, 21:07
i can relate and totally agree with the "feeling the fear"
as i am currently going though a fear of feeling a dropping sensation phase. (for the past week or so)
and whenever i am worrying about it and sitting still or sometimes going to bed i start to feel this dropping sensation.
before i use to going through a feel of spinning only in bed phase, and i only ever felt the spinning in bed.

The dropping sensation is the worst. Really messed me up. Thought I was dying. It went after a week. Now I just have unbalancement whilst walking.

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

100% exactly know what you mean. I think my WHOLE issue is a trapped thing. I NEED to have an exit in most situations. For example when I used to work away and we would go in the van, I would HAVE to have the seat by the door, if I was stuck in the middle I would feel completely panicky to the point where I have to exit no matter what.

I actually end up planning or accessing situations for exit points etc, shocking really. I have got alot better though and when my general anxiety levels aren't as high these exit points become less of a priority. When anxiety is high an exit point can be the difference of a full blown attack.

I also have the fear of somebody knowing I'm having an attack, pretty ashamed about it. So this makes it even worse.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

I know that one too. A sudden, instant feeling that you dropped into the ground, or your body fell but is somehow still standing. It hits in a second and goes in that same second but it sends the anxiety sky high so you will continue to feel off balance. Hate it

Holy shit. You just described exactly what happens to me when im standing and that somehow happens. I always thought it was me. Damn. Feeling good right now. I thought I'd black out for a second.

Lissa101
25-03-13, 10:10
Funny mine started when I went on an outward bound course with high school, they took us potholing - just wouldn't happen now. We had to slither through a very small slash in the rock on our bellies. I had a panic attack.

Oh my God! My idea of absolute HELL. You must have been terrified! x

dreena
25-03-13, 10:56
yes i have this all the time, even when I'm managing my anxiety and am in a good place mentally, this is the one symptom that sticks with me. i have now taken to carrying a bottle of water every where with me, its the only thing that works, take a few sips of water and i dont know how or why this work... but it does x

kathygams
25-03-13, 17:13
Hi, I am new here to.

I have found this happen a couple of times to me.. especially in cinemas, theatre, buses and situations where I cant not really go anywhere quickly.. this overwhelming feeling comes over me...I have had a good way to control it . is just to repeat in my head "THIS IS NOTHING GO AWAY IT WONT HURT ME" and after a few moments of breathing and consintrating that it cant hurt me it goes away... and I focus on something else.