PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get anxiety/stress related headaches?

Mark_P
23-03-13, 16:01
Over the last 3/4 days I'm been getting this niggling headache with neckache. It's there in the morning when I wake up, pretty all through the day. I've been stressed out/anxious of late and I'm wondering if this is the cause of it.

The headache is usually in the temple area and at the front. Sometimes when I sit at home on the laptop at night, I'll sit against the headrest with my neck in a bent forward position propped up by a pillow.

I am wondering whether it could be neck strain from the position I lay, leading to the headaches or if it's stress related.

Thanks.

ecila92
23-03-13, 19:34
Stress related, when we're stressed all of our muscles in our neck/shoulder/back get tense and sore, which leads of a headache. Don't worry about it, I've had all kinds of scary headaches but they're nothing to be concerned about. I rarely get bad headaches anymore, I've learnt how to relax in time which has paid off. I do still have very tense shoulders/stiff neck though. Also anyone with an anxiety problem will get a headache, its the first symptom on the list and we often worry about brain tumours which makes the headache worse.

Mark_P
23-03-13, 20:16
Stress related, when we're stressed all of our muscles in our neck/shoulder/back get tense and sore, which leads of a headache. Don't worry about it, I've had all kinds of scary headaches but they're nothing to be concerned about. I rarely get bad headaches anymore, I've learnt how to relax in time which has paid off. I do still have very tense shoulders/stiff neck though. Also anyone with an anxiety problem will get a headache, its the first symptom on the list and we often worry about brain tumours which makes the headache worse.

Thanks for that. I have terrible tenseness in my shoulders and neck, mainly the shoulders. I go gym as well, so that probably doesn't help with the tightness.

Lilharry
23-03-13, 20:25
I had this too a couple of weeks ago - kept getting a headache every night. Got a professional massage and it has worked wonders. She said when your muscles get tense in your neck and shoulders the lactic acid builds up and can give you a headache. She said if it comes back to have a bath or use a wheat bag. I would highly recommend a massage though!

cluesforblues
25-03-13, 19:44
I had exactly that kind of headache for 3 months every single day. my father died of a brain tumour so you can guess what i was thinking. Of course I mentioned it too my mother who informed me my father never got headaches! The next day it was gone. Anxiety is a powerful thing.

Mark_P
25-03-13, 20:14
I've just been getting this mild dizziness. I don't actually feel like I'm falling or anything, just feel really spacey, like my balance is off in my head. It's only mild, so it's not bad, but I don't like it at all. I am wondering whether it's due to high blood pressure. Also, my ears and nose feel like they're congested, especially my ears.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

I had exactly that kind of headache for 3 months every single day. my father died of a brain tumour so you can guess what i was thinking. Of course I mentioned it too my mother who informed me my father never got headaches! The next day it was gone. Anxiety is a powerful thing.

I've only had it since about about thursday. It started off more of a headache and mild dizziness, now it's more mild dizziness, but my shoulders, trapezius and neck are really tense.

Did you get the tenseness as well?

cluesforblues
25-03-13, 21:14
Yeah I had terrible tension in my neck shoulders and arms. I also got the dizziness.... well more of a swimming sensation in my head if you know what I mean. They are all pretty common symptoms of anxiety I was diagnosed at 21 I'm now 41 so I speak from experience unfortunately. I found that when i was distracted the symptoms were less, they didn't dissapear all together and of course once i became fixated on another health problem they vanished. I thought it was blood pressure as well at one point and of course its logical that may be playing a part but because of your heightened anxiety about the issue. I'm not a doctor of course and i would advise you to see your GP for reassurance and to settle your mind :) But all your symptoms sound much like anxiety to me. Hope this has helped a little.

0121niamh
10-01-16, 11:28
Hi guys this is my first post I've looked at a lot of the articles on here but found the courage to join and post. My anxiety first started 3 years ago when my 7 week old baby was admitted to hospital at this time I also found a lump on my breast and my husband had 2 planned non serious operations - I found 2 lumps in the space of six months and this kicked off the need to constantly check myself sometimes up to 10 times a day leaving myself sore and bruised under the skin, numerous visits to the Dr and she picked up something wasn't quite right and asked me what I'm afraid of and the answers simple my mom died suddenly at 50 ny fear is I will die young and my 3 children will be left without a mom - my current anxiety attack started in October no real reason I just felt myself feeling a bit edgy and it spiraled was sick every morning churning upset tummy felt shaking and on edge stomach pains all over all id had previous was a cold which had caused some breast pain - anyway Dr was pretty sure it was all anxiety related but reffered me for bloods and an ultra sound - panic ensured as I was convinced something was wrong scan day came and I was told everything was fine althou I have polysystic overies (I new this thou) however my bloods came back with stars against them my liver function was raised and was my sedimentaion rate so repeat bloods were necessary - also a stool sample too - all this is happening at beginibg of December my fear I wud get bad news at Xmas as that wen we always have a tough time, my stool sample came back positive for blood so had to repeat it and of course google just tells u its one cancer or another anyway second sample cane back fine and so did bloods however I'm still getting pressure headache initally they were at the back of my head base of neck and felt like someone was pushing my head down had them most days but didn take any medication, the pain would move around my head be at the top or on the one side, a good friend of mine said she experienced the same when her anxiety flaires up, I'm still having these pressure pains now on top of head maybe only 3 finger tips in size but occasional shooting pains and pain over one eye I've now convinced myself I mist have a brain tumor my hands feel wobbly at tomes althou if u hold my hands out they don't move I feel shakey light headed some times too - I have a busy life work part time and have three children aged 9 7 3 the older 2 argue constantly and spend my life playing referee so stress is present in my life, I've just started seeing a counsiller who has asked me to keep a diary but its these pressure headache that are concerning me is it just anxiety? Any comments welcome xx