PDA

View Full Version : Exercise as a way to help health anxiety?

Ribbit
24-03-13, 12:05
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the science behind why exercise can help us deal with health anxiety? My particular problems lie in panicking about my heart and the usual symptoms that go with that (missed beats, palps etc)... so how does exercising the heart make it calm down? Anyone know?

I've joined a gym by the way!!!

Lucy

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Or maybe you might not know the science behind it, but you know it worked for you?

Izzie2494
24-03-13, 12:08
The more you excercise the stronger your heart will get, so it should help with the palps, your heart racing etc. :)

potato11
24-03-13, 12:16
I think getting your heart rate up also acts as proof to you that it can hammer away and be just fine :D

backfromthebrink
24-03-13, 12:57
I just joined a gym too Lucy and I also have some worries at the moment about chest pain. I don't get missed beats or palpitations, I just get a tight feeling and a mild pain. I am taking it really easy and just using the treadmills for 15 mins a day at the moment. Also doing a few classes there, but only easy-going ones like yoga and pilates.

It helps because, like potato11 says, it reassures me that my heart can take it and therefore that the pain I'm feeling at other times (since I don't believe I get it when exercising) isn't heart-related.

After exercising I also feel all tired and stretched out and relaxed, and that really helps with the anxiety too.

HoneyLove
24-03-13, 14:29
Exercise is helpful for all kinds of anxiety and depression, mainly because when you exercise your body releases endorphins which are those chemicals that lift your mood and make you feel good. There are lots if ways to get those endorphin hits but exercise is a particularly good way, and if you do it regularly it will help you lift your mood in a more frequent way.

It will also help you to relax by releasing up all that pent up energy and the chemicals that your body releases with the 'fight or flight' reaction that happens with anxiety and panic.

It helps you to relax and sleep better by wearing you out in a natural way.

You'll also find that regular exercise means a healthier and happy body, immune system and nervous system - all things that contribute to an anxiety free mind.

It can also act as a distraction, focusing on your breathing and body while you're exercising will take your mind away from worrying thoughts.

And you can also combine exercise with meditation to further relax your mind and body, once again kicking in those hormones that your brain needs to make you feel good. I have a friend who runs a lot and views it as a type of mindfulness meditation.

In a way exercise is like a natural anti depressant, it works the same way by changing the chemical balance in your body towards one that makes you feel better.

I'm sure someone else will be much better at explaining te science of it, but those are the basics.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Thought I'd add that it's those stress chemicals that affect your heartbeat and make it a bit jumpy (I've been through the same thing).

Your main aim should be to try and reduce your stress levels and get rid of those excess chemicals, it will help your heart to calm down.

Exercise is a good way to do this, but what's also really important is to learn about relaxation and kicking in your parasympathetic nervous system. This will really help you calm down your palpitations.

Meditation is a great way to do this, there's lots if science as to how it works too. I'm finding it incredibly beneficial!

Breathing exercises and regular deep relaxation (like using a relaxation/meditation/hypnosis CD) will also really help you.

And also, something I've learned from Claire Weekes, accepting your symptoms instead of fighting them. Next time you feel the palps, accept that they are a part of anxiety, they make you feel bad sure, but you can live with them - then do a breathing exercise to help you relax until they pass.

novangel
24-03-13, 18:27
I think getting your heart rate up also acts as proof to you that it can hammer away and be just fine :D

^This (once you can get past the sensation) it's great exposure therapy. Plus endorphins!! Doing cardio the past year has helped my anxiety ten fold. Better than medication...I still take meds but before I was having breakthrough anxiety/panic whereas when I'm on an exercise roll I have zero issues. :)

Ribbit
24-03-13, 21:09
Thanks guys, that all makes a lot of sense. So it helps eliminate the 'bad' chemicals (bad only in the sense that they cause my symptoms) and replaces them with happy chemicals, PLUS proving my heart is tickety boo at the same time?! Perfect!

Backfromthebrink - we're doing the same! I am only taking it slowly (although that's because I'm so unfit!) but then it's better to start slowly and build up. I'm planning on taking some body balance classes too, which are a mix of yoga, tai chi and pilates.

Honeylove - I'm going to look into meditation. Hopefully I'll be able to find a class somewhere :)

Novangel - I hope it works for me too :))

I'm determined to tackle my health anxiety! So I'm attacking it twofold - through the gym and also with psychotherapy. I'm fed up with so many stupid thoughts polluting my mind and muddying my life. I have so much to be thankful for, and I'm going to start living rather than worrying about dying.

backfromthebrink
24-03-13, 21:53
Ribbit, I went to a Body Balance class last week at my Fitness First gym, so know just what you mean by a blend of those things. :roflmao: I'm going to try Pilates for the first time tomorrow and see how I get on. I'm getting bored of the treadmill already!

I'm very unfit as well, although I'm also very skinny. (The anxiety makes food just go right through me, and it's a constant battle to eat as I lose my appetite.) So I look the part in my running trousers and then I get on the treadmill and have to walk after about 2mins of running which kind of lets the side down a bit :wacko:

Today I was on a bike in the gym, and I looked to my right (not far over) and got this sudden sharp pain in my chest. It lasted literally a split second, but worried me. I don't know, I might have to go do an exercise ECG to set my mind at rest. I'm going to get a quote from a private hospital tomorrow and see what it costs as I'm too embarrassed to go back to my GP yet again. I'm going there on Tues to get the pill as I'm starting a new kind, which is also something I'm worried about. SIGH.

I'm also meeting with a new psychotherapist on Weds this week. I think doing all these things helps us to feel like we have some sort of control back again - I think that helps with the fear a lot.