PDA

View Full Version : Scared of medication but i want to take them

BubblegumUK
24-03-13, 14:14
Hi,

i really feel like i need some meds, i used to be on meds for 11 years and came off them in august last year, but things have been getting worse for quite a while now. i was prescribed escitalopram, but i'm scared to take it :(

I want to take it to help, but i'm scared. I'm scared i'm going to get loads of horrible side effects and i'll end up really ill, or end up having a catheter like what happened last time i took an anti-depressant and gave me a bad reaction, which tbh kickstarted this whole fear of medication.

If i take one, which i have tried before, i keep focusing on every pulse, twitch, dizzy movement, everything and i can't help but think its the pills. the biggest fear i have is a fear of not being able to urinate, now the urologist has told me that if i think about not being able to go it will take longer, the thing is though, if it takes longer to go i get convinced its the tablets that are causing it and i get more stressed, so next time i go to the toilet i get even more tense which makes it take even longer until i'm in total dispair :(

please, has anybody overcome this problem of fear of meds causing specific problems?

I really need some help with stuff, my care co-ordinator isn't returning my calls, in fact i have never even met him since my last one left the cmht over a month ago! so i feel that meds is the best option for now, but am scared to take them :(

Any advice?

Thankyou

Dave

cluesforblues
24-03-13, 18:25
Hey Dave, Like you I was along time user of meds. I came off in april of last year when my second son was born.. I really thought i was over the health anxiety thing, everything was rosy. I run my own business im a professional musician so my job is low stress I have a fantastic partner and 2 fantastic kids. I didnt enjoy the sexual side effects of the medication and had started skipping doses etc and decided i didnt want/ need them anymore. Boy was i wrong within 3 months I was convinced I was dying of cancer it got worse and worse and worse over the next 6 months. I kept telling myself i didnt want the side effects of the drug and i could get through this on my own. Eventually I went back to my gp begging for help. My partner had spent so many hours trying to convince me I wasnt dying....I was withdrawn not enjoying my kids it was awful. I decided i would rather have the side effecys than feel like this anymore.... Im now 6 weeks into the meds and I feel somch better, I have taken citalopram for 15 years and am now back on it at 20mg a day. Iv just decided i need them,

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

At the end of the day its your decision,but that little pil everyday makes me want to live I will never comeoff them again. Good luck sorry about the long post

mrsnobody
24-03-13, 20:19
ive been given a change of tablets but scared to take them too

mike2512
26-03-13, 08:52
Wow this is exactly how I feel. I was on citalopram for 7 years and it took me months to feel even slightly ok when I came off them. I feel awful everyday and that I'm going to die any second. I keep telling myself I need the pills but then ill say no I'm ok ill survive, but like cluesforblues I feel like I'm missing my kids grow up each day so I'm seriously thinking of starting citalopram again today...... Just don't know what to do.