PDA

View Full Version : DVT fear in arm after blood test. PLEASE HELP

chl_hobbs
24-03-13, 17:28
Hi all

Im having a bad time of it at the moment, both health wise and heath anxiety wise so please if you can help, do.

2 weeks ago, I was in hospital, and the doctor couldnt find a place to get blood, so she went in the vein running down the centre of my right forearm (slightly to the left on the inner side). As I was getting my blood pressure by a nurse on the other arm at the same time, when the dr took the needle out of the arm, i couldnt press the cotton pad down to stop the bleeding, and she didnt exactly press it for long. As a result it bled quite a lot beforeI could stop it.

Well it developed a horrible purple bruise which now, 2 weeks later has faded to yellow. On Thursday of this week, I was getting really tight chested (anxiety) but they did a D-Dimer test to check for any clots in my body just in case. It was negative and they said my panic attacks had taken over and made me tight chested.

Today (Sunday - 3 days after d-dimer test) Ive noticed that my right arm is sore. It's 'pulling' when I move my arm along my inner forearm. It's not majorly red or swollen but feels 'sore' and sensitive all along my inner forearm. Im really worried I have got a clot from the blood test..... I cant get it out of my mind. My arm is aching too. In my head, it was a superficial clot and now its progressed into a dvt, will move to my lungs and kill me. The fear is very real and Im panicky :(

Is this possible two weeks after a blood test? I didnt have a cannula in my arm or anything, just a blood test with a syringe needle. The crease of my elbow (inner) is sore to touch, and the place where I had the blood test (further down, about an inch or so) is ok but just bruised a bit still.

Please, if anyone can help me, or has any experience in this, or even if youre just reading this and thinking Im an idiot... please could you help? I dont want to go running to the hospital again every time i get a symptom

Charlotte

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Please, anyone?

Annie0904
24-03-13, 17:32
I am sure it will be fine Charlotte. Someone else asked me this same thing after they had a blood test a few weeks ago. My cousin also had a blood test not look ago and it was really badly bruised and her arm was still feeling stiff and aching 4 weeks later x

Pinktel
24-03-13, 17:42
if your d dimer test was negative you can be pretty confident all is well, they have an accuracy rate well into the 90% range. As far as it being a DVT from a vein they used to draw blood, well, you should gain comfort from the very name DEEP vein thrombosis, - i highly doubt they went that deep into your arm to select a large vein to draw the blood???
I ALWAYS get a sore arm and bruising after my blood tests when they check my thyroid levels, it's just how I am, with these symptoms the more you think about them the sorer your arm is going to feel.
Do you have lots of risk factors for DVT?

chl_hobbs
24-03-13, 18:50
thankyou both xxxx

I was in the car and felt tight chested again, went to cough and felt a sharp pain in my chest... keeps happening now. Ive checked my oxygen levels (I stupidly bought an oximeter months ago) and theyre 99%. I know Im an idiot and I dont know why I do it to myself but Im convincing myself that its a PE from a DVT which I have 'suddenly' developed since thursday (d-dimer test).

I wish I didnt feel all this. I hate my life. This morning I was worrying about a stroke!!! I have a 3 yr old daughter and a partner and I let this fear of dying and being ill ruin our lives.

I am seriously wanting to go to a+e but I cant. I went there twice last week and was in hospital (admitted) for a heart rate problem the week before.

x

Lilharry
24-03-13, 19:48
Why don't you ring your doctor and speak to a nurse. They will tell you whether they think you should come in or not. Then it becomes their responsibility not yours. It's okay for you to go to a and e if it makes you feel better and if you have real symptoms, so don't carry on like this if you are really worried. Do what you need to do to feel better xx

chl_hobbs
25-03-13, 07:54
Slept well for once, yet soon as I wake up tight chest starts and feel like I cant breathe :( im so scared, I dont even trust my own body anymore.