PDA

View Full Version : Finding the past so difficult

manwithnoname
24-03-13, 18:22
hi, I really am having a very difficult time letting go of the past, i feel i really need to talk to someone if anyone could please message me i would really grateful

inCOGnito
24-03-13, 18:50
Check out Jon Kabatt-Zinn on youtube

manwithnoname
24-03-13, 19:48
thank you i will check that out

ABE1981
24-03-13, 20:00
Im exactly the same thoughts of things that are true and have happened seem to cause me far more pain and anxiety than any other thoughts, the thoughts just go round and round in my head causing me severe anxiety, each thought releases adreneline and my skin feels like its on fire, its the feeling powerless to the thoughts, when its things that have hurt you or its about someone you love, i feel that depression and anxiety from thoughts of the past are very hard to overcome!! I feel its because we want to change things that have happened but know we never can, we want to feel in control but cant, we just have to do the best we can and try and live in the present, take each day 1 at a time, If you want to talk things over anytime drop me a pm:) All the best Abe

Annie0904
24-03-13, 20:11
You might find this helpful
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4116/10-Tips-to-Let-Go-of-the-Past-Embrace-the-Future.html
The 2nd point on here Take time to reflect on your own history as a third party looking in without judgment: simply observe.
My therapist tried something similar to this with me. I had some very bad experiences and I kept getting flash backs. My therapist told me to be another person looking at me in that situation..what would I say to myself? She also got me to do imagery...Looking at the situation but changing the ending in my mind to something not so frightening. If you want me to tell you more about this please PM me

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

I also just found this book online Emotionally Free: Letting Go of the Past to Live in the Moment
I might buy it myself :)