PDA

View Full Version : Is meningitus catching?

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 16:08
I work in a school and a child in the nursery is suffering from this.
Is it contageous and if so by how much?
I'm very anxious that I have the early signs already as I have a sore throat, tickly cough and abit shivery.
Can anyone help?

emeraldgirl
25-03-13, 16:11
I think you have to be in very close contact for some time to catch it so its not as contagious as a cold or bad chest which there are loads of around at the moment. I sat next to someone in a meeting who went down with meningitis the next day and no one at the meeting (around 50 people) caught it.

sparkle_1979
25-03-13, 16:19
I think it is but you are much more likely to have a cold or flu

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 16:19
The thing that worries me is little kids touch their nose and mouth then touch you so isn't thst how its spread?

emeraldgirl
25-03-13, 16:25
If the doctors think you are at risk they will give you antibiotics but its usually only for those that have been in very close contact maybe if you are in the same class as the child that has it

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 16:31
Should I ring my doc?
No im not in the class but i am in the class next door

emeraldgirl
25-03-13, 16:41
You could call the doc for some advice if you are really worried but if you aren't in the same class I think you will be ok. I really think you have to be in very close contact over some length of time to catch it. Maybe call just for peace of mind if it will make you feel less anxious

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 16:52
I am not sure they take calls like that is all.
Would NHS direct tell me?
I've been looking it up online and its scaring me.

Anxious_gal
25-03-13, 16:56
One of them is, I think it's the virus one.
If he had that then the entire place would be shut down n everyone put on medication.

My mum had bacterial and that's not contagious :) so more than likely its that one.
Also you would have gotten your meningitis vaccine and that protects you from the virus one.

Lilharry
25-03-13, 17:03
Of course you can ring your doctor about it. Don't be afraid to see your doctor if you are worried. It is catching, but unlikely that you would have it. Early signs are rash, sore neck and sensitivity to light. In my country they encourage people with symptoms to see their doctor because we have yearly outbreaks of it.

emeraldgirl
25-03-13, 17:11
I'm sure NHS direct would help you. Do you know what type of meningitis it is?

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 17:19
Thats the thing I don't know.
Bacterial is the more serious one right?
And viral the less.
I think its the viral one but that is catching? So confusing.
Ive looked online, so far not very helpful just worrying.
I am starting to get a headache but not sure if this is related. I really dont want to go back tomorrow now :-(

Lilharry
25-03-13, 17:22
Bacterial one is the serious one and they would have told you and probably shut the place down. If its viral its not so serious, more like flu.

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 17:31
Is it very catching then?
None of the rest of the staff seem bothered...

Pinktel
25-03-13, 17:42
Bacterial meningitis certainly IS contagious, as is the viral version. But you need reasonably close contact, family members etc sharing cups, kissing etc. I can't believe you would have been exposed being in the classroom next door.

There are so many viruses flying round at the moment, coughs, sore throats, runny noses, temperatures, if you work with kids, you could have any one of them.

I really doubt you will have been infected, most at risk would be the other little kids in the poor child's class. I hope he/she is okay and gets better soon.

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 18:43
Bacterial meningitis certainly IS contagious, as is the viral version. But you need reasonably close contact, family members etc sharing cups, kissing etc. I can't believe you would have been exposed being in the classroom next door.

There are so many viruses flying round at the moment, coughs, sore throats, runny noses, temperatures, if you work with kids, you could have any one of them.

I really doubt you will have been infected, most at risk would be the other little kids in the poor child's class. I hope he/she is okay and gets better soon.

One of the nursery children comes to the morning club I run but it isn't the one with the illness. Could this heighten my risk?
I feel so selfish but this is what anxiety does to me :-(

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Really worried!

Pinktel
25-03-13, 19:04
I just can't imagine that it would increase your risk its such an indirect contact you are talking about here, I mean think about it, people are struck down with meningitis every day, if it was THAT contagious, to the degrees you are talking about, we would all be falling ill with it.

GirlAfraid23
25-03-13, 21:01
I just can't imagine that it would increase your risk its such an indirect contact you are talking about here, I mean think about it, people are struck down with meningitis every day, if it was THAT contagious, to the degrees you are talking about, we would all be falling ill with it.

Its the fact I know its there. Its been in the school. Its in the air. Like I might catch it.
I keep having to cough as have a really tickly, dry chest and throat

Ats666
25-03-13, 22:32
Hi yes you can catch it but as previously said has to be prolonged close contact. My son had meningococcal septicaemia at 12 weeks old, but they only treated me and my husband prophylactically as we were in prolonged close contact eg living with him, sleeping next to him etc. but if you are worried nhs direct are always there for advice and your GP. Hope this helps xx

GirlAfraid23
26-03-13, 18:29
I am still panicking today. I feel like I will come down with it any moment.

bernie1977
26-03-13, 18:43
If you are so worried speak to your Doctor.

My best friend died from meningicoccal meningitis, I was given antibiotics as a precaution and they took a throat swab which came back clear.

From what you have said it is highly unlikely you will catch it as you have not had the type of exposure that would put you at risk.

GirlAfraid23
26-03-13, 19:53
I am sure the doctor will think I am wasting his time but it doesn't stop me from worrying.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

I am sorry you lost your best friend.