PDA

View Full Version : Regular chest pains

Smatthew
25-03-13, 16:43
Hello all, thanks for this website, it's a really great resource.

I'm posting because I'm going a bit mad with worry.

Last september I started getting chest pains that slowly got worse and worse untill I had an episode where I went to hospital in the middle of the night - they weren't that bad, I was just worried that I was dying.
I went to the hospital and they told me it was almost definitely anxiety or the fact that i'd recently given up smoking (on a social basis) and told me I likely need more excercise, but despite that, I seemed relatively healthy.
I went to the Doctors and was told the same, but also told that it may have been something called "Pre Chordial Catch" as I also get a clicking feeling in my chest occasionally.

I only made the issue worse throughout the whole period by constantly checking google and then starting to feel like I was getting the symtoms of every horrible disease I came up with

After i'd been to the Doctors, the pains seemed to subside entirely for about 4 months untill around 2 weeks ago, when I was reading an article about a Woman who had gone the the doctors with the same issue and was told multiple times that it was anxiety and ended up passing away due to multiple forms of cancer at the age of 34.
Since I read that, the pains have been back - literally since the day I read it. I tell myself it's just anxiety that's come back but the mad side of me passes it up as coincidence and I think something's horribly wrong with me.

The pain can go from sharp spikes to dull burning and it's around my chest and back, sometimes even in my shoulders.

At the moment i'm overanalysing every cough, twitch and swallow looking for symptoms of something terrible. I'm never really worried about anything, i'm a very chilled out person, but since getting this pain i've been going mad with worry! Especially about my girlfriend who doesn't really have anybody else but me.

Sorry for being so verbose, I'm just trying to explain myself as best I can!

Thanks for reading - any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

backfromthebrink
25-03-13, 20:54
Have you read my post 'the power of suggestion'?! LOL!

Seriously, if you weren't aware of this until after you read that article, it is highly likely to be health anxiety. What are you afraid of it being, you don't mention that?

Smatthew
02-04-13, 03:03
Hello, sorry for my late reply.

I'm terrified it's lung cancer or something like that, every time I cough now I get worried that they're going to get worse and worse and everything else just snowballs.
I had a day last week where I didn't get a single pain or bad feeling, but I had a few hours the next day where It just came back, and since then it's been the same.

It's never too bad when I'm occupied with something else however...