PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine dose increase

kittikat
25-03-13, 20:44
So, my GP has upped my 75mg dose (1 x 37.5 twice a day) to 112.5mg day for 4 weeks then up to 150mg day from then.

He has advised me to take 1 tablet in the morning and 2 at night time. So I guess my question is this...

If you have been on 112.5mg a day, how did you take your dose and is it best to start the increase at night as suggested or in the morning?

As my anxiety/mood is at it's worst in the mornings, I assume the double dose at night will help this? Also what wonderful side effects do I have to look forward to on my increase? :scared15:

Thanks all...Kitti :)

Pipkin
25-03-13, 21:16
Hi Kitti,

Things must be pretty bad for you to increase - you know where I am if you need me :hugs:

To answer your questions, I made the same increase last year except I'm on slow release so took 1 x 75mg slow release am and a 37.5mg standard tab pm. I guess the equivalent is 2 x tabs am and 1 x pm. Given what you've described, I think 1 x am and 2 x pm would be best for you.

As for SEs, I had none to speak of - maybe just a wee bit more anxiety but I was already more anxious so I could hardly tell.

Take care

Pip xxxxxxx

kittikat
25-03-13, 21:29
Thank you Pip,

I am finding things a bit tough at the moment. As you know I didn't want to increase but it may be for the best under the current circumstances. I will definitely be in touch if I need you!

I value your support and kind words as ever, you are a star, thank you :hugs: xxx

clio51
25-03-13, 21:50
Hi kitti,

Things must be tough as you say because I know you were on 75mg a long time.
Like pip says when I went up to 150mg. I don't think I got any different se because I was probably anxious anyway so didn't notice.
Hope the increase start up is ok for you hun, and not a problem.
Take care xxx. Let's know how your doing. X

pinkdove
25-03-13, 21:59
kitti so sorry you are having a tugh time, when i increased from 75mg to 112.5 i too 75am and 37.5 pm then when i went to 150mg i took it all in the morning.

i hope you are ok with the increase, i was, and hopefully it will give you the help you need. good luck hun xx

kittikat
25-03-13, 22:02
Thanks Clio :hugs:

Well I am crapping myself now (for want of a better expression) as I am going to be taking the double dose in about 15 minutes...:scared15:

I'm sure I'll be back on the Ven thread tomorrow worrying myself silly or having a euphoric high like I did when I first started haha!!

I will keep you posted hun!! xxx

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Thank you Pink :hugs: very much appreciated xxxxx

nicola1980
26-03-13, 01:41
Hi kitti sorry your having it tough at the minute :hugs: when i was on the standard ven i took the highest dose at night too, i had no probs increasing to the 150mg only benefits :-) we're all here to help you through x x x x

---------- Post added at 01:41 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

Just a thought but when you get to 150mg ask your gp for the slow release tabs as there so much easier and i believe you get a smoother time on them, i really noticed a difference when i swapped over to them x x x

kittikat
26-03-13, 01:51
Thank you Nic...you have made me feel so much better. I did take the extra dose tonight, I am just feeling a little spaced out atm but actually it's quite a nice feeling!

I hope you are doing ok hun :hugs: xxxx

kittikat
26-03-13, 11:31
Well, I am happy to say I survived the night on my increase! I didn't manage to sleep until 5am but when I did, probably the best sleep I have had in ages.

Feel ok this morning, just perhaps a little dazed, I'm sure this will pass. Oh, and the dry mouth has returned too...other than that, fingers crossed...I feel strangely calm and just a little lightheaded :)

Thanks again all for the reassurance :hugs: xxxx

maximus1975
26-03-13, 14:50
hi kitti i took it the other way round so i had the bigger dose in the morning so i culd feel the benfits through the day then 37.5 about 6 pm coz it does keep some people awake this was not the case with me , this is the classic case of everyones different so go with what your gp/pdoc says.
i was silly enough to google this med and read for hours its a suprise i slept at all , when you get to 150 get the slow release like nicola said has a calming influence xxxx

kittikat
26-03-13, 15:49
Thanks Max, I did take my docs advice. I made myself a promise not to read the med leaflet when I started Ven and just go for it after some previous disasters. I can honestly say that was the best thing I could have done and as you know I have found ven very easy to tolerate and it has helped me a lot.

Thanks for your advice, have PM'd you too xxx

maximus1975
26-03-13, 17:23
yeh i look way to much into meds wish i could just take them and get on with it xx

clio51
27-03-13, 23:07
Hi kitti,

How's it going hun? Its early days still but just checking.:) xx

Pipkin
27-03-13, 23:12
Supportive hugs from me :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Pip xxx

spawn
28-03-13, 07:44
Hi kitti, aww I thought you were doing fine?

I increased to 112.5mg in one go, taken in the morning, and again with 150.
And I found I had increased anxiety and didnt feel to great etc for up to 10days after.

Hope things get better for you.

kittikat
28-03-13, 11:35
Thanks all,

I am doing fine on the increase...very tired but sleeping well, slightly more anxious first thing but it soon disappears, dry mouth has returned with a vengence, feel very calm, a little zoned out at times but all in all feeling good!!

Gav, I have some work issues which have really got to me, I just felt the anxiety creeping back so an increase seemed like the best way forward at this difficult time.

Big hugs to you all and thanks for your continued support :bighug1: xxxxx

spawn
28-03-13, 20:37
Ahh ok kitti, help it sorts its self out.
Good luck!x

kittikat
31-03-13, 08:22
Just a quick update - I am doing ok on my increase BUT my sleep pattern is completley disrupted! First 2 nights, great, slept like a log, last 4 nights barely slept at all, probably maxium 3 hours and it's really starting to get to me now. I understand it's probably just a SE and will sort itself out, hopefully :unsure:

I am taking 37.5mg morning and 75mg night (as per docs instructions) does anyone think that I would benefit from splitting this into 3 daily doses? Maybe the higher dose at night is keeping me awake? Any thoughts on this would be great. I need my sleep!!!

Thanks, Kitti :wacko: x

Pipkin
31-03-13, 08:49
Hi Kitti,

It could well be the higher nighttime dose keeping you awake. I remember my GP saying to take it first in the morning and see how it affected me. He said it makes some people drowsy (in which case to swap to taking it at night) and some people quite perky. It does neither to me though I think I remember some disrupted sleep in the early days.

It might not be a bad idea to move your extra 37.5 mg dose to the morning by gradually taking it earlier and early until it's moved to the morning. I guess it's worth a try - you need your sleep!

When you've settled on 150 mg, I would ask your GP for the slow-release caps - they help with this kind of thing by regulating the dose entering your bloodstream.

Thinking of you

Pip xxx

kittikat
31-03-13, 17:05
Thanks Pip,

I may try splitting the extra tablet and taking one and a half morning and one and a half evening...see if that works. Ven has always made me a bit tired Pip, but perhaps 2 at once is over stimulating me?

I hope you enjoyed your picnic today!

Kitti xx :hugs:

kittikat
01-04-13, 12:31
Well after being wide awake until 6am this morning, I have decided to split my dose into 2 x 56.25, morning and evening to see how that goes.

I feel ok in general but I can't deal with being wide awake all night...so, lets see what tonight brings now! Sleep I hope :doh: :wacko:

nicola1980
01-04-13, 12:35
Hi kitti could you ask your gp for the slow release ven? I've heard this is better for sleep problems as you are take it once a day in the morning x x

kittikat
01-04-13, 12:54
When I go up to 150mg in 3 weeks time, I am going to ask him Nic. Thanks hun, hope you are doing ok :hugs: xx

kittikat
02-04-13, 20:58
Well I managed 7 hours sleep last night :yahoo: and even had a 2 hour nap on the sofa this evening!

I think perhaps splitting my dose was a good idea. Lets hope it continues, I feel so much better now :)

Pipkin
02-04-13, 21:02
Good news Kitti!

I was going to resort to sending you one of my essay drafts to knock you out...

Pip xxx

nicola1980
02-04-13, 21:03
That's Fab news kitti you must feel so much better for it :hugs: x x

clio51
02-04-13, 21:06
:) hope it continues for you, afternoon naps as well!!

kittikat
03-04-13, 16:14
Thanks all, however, back to square one again last night, only managed 4 hours sleep :wacko:

Pip, I will gladly read one of your essay drafts if you think it will help :roflmao:

Anyway, I am not going to let this worry me, I am sure it will sort itself out soon.

Clio, great to read you are doing so well hun...long may it continue for you, you deserve some relief :hugs: xx

karenp
04-04-13, 16:19
Sorry to hear you have had to increase your Ven Kitti, hope your sleep improves soon as there is nothing worse than being awake all night hey....good luck darl xxx

kittikat
04-04-13, 16:49
Sorry to hear you have had to increase your Ven Kitti, hope your sleep improves soon as there is nothing worse than being awake all night hey....good luck darl xxx

Aww, thanks Karen, hope you are doing well hun :hugs: xxx

Akiratoo
12-05-13, 14:43
I have just had my ven increased from 75mg to 150mg, I was starting to get some bad spells of depression and anxiety again and my doctor recommended the increase, I am on the Slow release so just take the whole 150 in the morning. I know it is still early days but so far I have not noticed any effect, good or bad. I do hope that the benefits show up soon.

kittikat
12-05-13, 15:11
I have just had my ven increased from 75mg to 150mg, I was starting to get some bad spells of depression and anxiety again and my doctor recommended the increase, I am on the Slow release so just take the whole 150 in the morning. I know it is still early days but so far I have not noticed any effect, good or bad. I do hope that the benefits show up soon.

Well I have to say the sleep problem only lasted a couple of weeks for me and I have definitely felt better on the increase although it took a a while to kick in. I have stayed on 112.5 because I feel better than I did so I am not going to increase anymore unless I feel I have to.

I am sure you will feel better soon, I wish you all the best with it, let me know how it is going for you. Kitti x

breeze13
23-05-13, 18:32
hello to everyone here!!!! just want to ask a question about this med. Does the tiredness last? about how long does it last for? thanks for all the help via posts. Its encouraging!!!

kittikat
23-05-13, 18:47
hello to everyone here!!!! just want to ask a question about this med. Does the tiredness last? about how long does it last for? thanks for all the help via posts. Its encouraging!!!

Difficult to say really, some days I sleep better than others but I am sure that is down to my state of mind and not the meds!

If you have recently started on Ven, things should level out for you within a few weeks. I think my sleep pattern was disrupted for around 2 weeks at the beginning and on my increase. Good luck with it :yesyes: