PDA

View Full Version : Long time reader, first time poster

MaryJanie
26-03-13, 01:20
Hi,

About 4-5 months ago I found a pea sized lymph node in my neck (submandibular) and then immediately next to it is another one about 1/4 of the size of a pea. They are both firm, rubbery and seem to be moveable. I went to the student health center and had a CBC done which came back normal. The health practitioner thought it may have been due to a breakout of acne under my jaw or allergies. She said it's when they don't go away that you want to start looking into things...well they haven't gone away.

Since then, I have not noticed a change in size. My doctor from back home isn’t concerned and wants to put me on antibiotics, although he has not examined me. I know that having one shotty lymph node is common, what about TWO right next to each other?? I had a few of bouts of mild night sweats that coincided with my menstrual cycle a couple months ago (none since) and have been feeling wiped out the past week or so but no other symptoms. Should I worry? Do I go back to the doctor and ask for other tests?

I have been obsessing over these lymph nodes since I found them...I'll forget about them for a little while and then realize they're still there, lose sleep over them and search my symptoms for hours and hours online. Thoughts racing through my mind, "what if it's this or what if it's that?" "What if the doctors missed something?" My mom laughed at me today and my boyfriend, although supportive, just doesn't understand that I feel imprisoned by my own anxieties. He tells me not to worry and I wish I could.

It's difficult to concentrate on my studies or do anything really productive. I feel like I'm in a constant state of worry--but it's not like it's for no reason, right? I mean I'm not imagining that I have 2 adjacent swollen nodes. I also recently got eye floaters (started with 1 several months ago and now I can see a cluster). I got my eyes checked out and the doctor says they're healthy and that 20% of 20 yr olds, 40% of 40 yr olds and 80% of 80 yr olds have floaters. But, I still can't put it to rest that everything is connected somehow! I feel like I am worrying my life away at the possible underlying causes for my symptoms.

Has anyone else experienced 2 swollen lymph nodes?? Or any comments would be welcomed

Thumbelina
26-03-13, 02:32
Haya, my brother has these nodes swollen from time to time everywhere. He is 33 and had it for years. Had it checked but there is nothing that they can do - just giving some advise in lifestyle generally. I cant remember what exactly...
Try to.put it to rest if you trust yiur doc. Otherwise go for a.second opinion and acter that relax..
Hope you will feel better soon.

MaryJanie
26-03-13, 06:11
Thank you Thumbalina...I will take the antibiotics and see if I need to go for a followup after that. Thanks again

hanshan
26-03-13, 06:40
Hi MaryJanie,

I can't comment on the lymph nodes, but I've had floaters all my life. They're not dangerous, and they do come and go. That is, you might have a big cluster that bothers you, but eventually it will go.

Also, they're more obvious when looking at a clear surface like a clear sky, a plain sheet of paper or a painted wall (or a computer screen), so don't let that bother you. They're much less obvious when looking at varied surfaces.

MaryJanie
26-03-13, 16:57
Hi Hanshan,

Thanks for your reply. I have noticed that the floaters are more noticeable when I'm stressed--but then seeing them stresses me out even more and so the cycle continues! I have just been telling myself not to look for them when I go outside and that seems to help. Hopefully, like yours, they will ebb and flow...or preferably just ebb.

I heard about these eye exercises you can do to try and move the floaters so they sink out of view (quickly moving your eyes from side to side and up and down). My opthamologist said it couldn't hurt but there's really nothing that prevents or remediates floaters aside from training yourself to ignore them.

I am working on mindfulness and acceptance but it's really hard to do when you're in a moment of panic!

countrygirl
26-03-13, 19:18
Just a thought but do you check your lymph nodes on a daily basis by touching them?? If you do then they will not go down as touching them inflames then and it gets to be viscious circle. I know this from experience!

If you don't touch them please ignore above:)

hanshan
28-03-13, 03:25
I don't think the floaters are caused by stress, but they are probably more noticeable (and you worry more about them) when you are stressed.

Unfortunately, aging is not good for eyes! As your doctor said, more and more people get floaters as they get older, but that doesn't mean the floaters themselves get worse, just more people have them. It may be some consolation that it will happen to most of us one day.

MaryJanie
29-03-13, 00:19
Hi CountryGirl,

I hadn't really been touching them too much, just very aware of them lately. I went back to the student health center today and the PA felt them and said they're benign and not to worry. Me? Not worry? Challenge accepted.

I agree Hanshan, the floaters are more noticeable when stressed. I really have to work on that.

MaryJanie
20-05-13, 22:28
I just wanted to post an update in case anyone else out there is reading this...it turns out that I've been suffering from mono! All this time it's gone undiagnosed. My nodes are still swollen but slowly going down. Above all, I feel relieved. I saw several doctors who couldn't really offer me any answers other than the nodes didn't seem to be pathological. Finally I got an appointment with my ENT who figured it out right away and the EBV blood test confirmed it.

Mipsy
20-05-13, 22:54
Sounds like a relief! Can I ask what mono is?
xx