PDA

View Full Version : melatonin

swgrl09
26-03-13, 02:28
anybody use it for sleep? is it habit-forming? i asked the pharmacist, who said they did not have very much info on it because homeopathic remedies are not controlled by the food and drug administration.

BobbyDog
26-03-13, 06:49
I tried Melatonin supplement a couple of years ago to help with my sleep problems, I didn't notice any positive changes. Valerian is the only non pharmaceutical medication that made any difference to my insomnia, I took that for about 10 years without any negative effects.

hanshan
26-03-13, 06:52
I don't use it for sleep, but it's a natural hormone produced by the body in the first hours of darkness that helps bring on sleep. A small boost should not be habit-forming.

Be careful of "homeopathic" melatonin - it doesn't actually contain any melatonin, just the "memory" of it in water (if you trust homeopathic logic). If you don't trust homeopathic logic, it's just water, or some other inert substance.

Fortunately, if you are in the US, you can buy real, non-homeopathic melatonin over the counter at a reasonable price. It might be worth a try. Do some research on the internet re dosage levels, etc.

swgrl09
26-03-13, 13:26

JaneC
26-03-13, 13:33
It's available by prescription only in the UK Swgrl - you might want to read what our NHS page says about it x

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Insomnia/Pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Insomnia&medicine=Melatonin&preparationMelatonin%202mg%20modified-release%20tablets