PDA

View Full Version : Full time college girl and anxiety sufferer >.<

XxSilentEyes13xX
26-03-13, 02:35
Bon soir, all.

My name is Brianna, I'm a 19-year old college student and I've been suffering with health-related anxiety for a little over a year now. I figured, being new to this site, I should introduce myself and a little of my story, for those who would care to read.

Everything started for me last January. Winters are always hard for me; I seem to flourish and wither with the earth, but this one in particular proved to be the most difficult I'd ever face. To make a story that I feel I could fill books with as short and concise as possible, I didn't feel well one day at school in my senior year of high school and began to panic in the nurse's office. I would always have little freakouts where my heart would race and then slow once I calmed, but for some reason this time I picked up on my heartbeat and asked the nurse if it was normal.

Of course I was tach-ing away, and maybe if she had told me "Yes, you're alright" I never would have continued to have the problems that still plague me today, but when she pulled away from listening and said "Okay, I'm gonna send you to the ER," that was it. I was convinced I was not long for the world. Absolutely convinced.

They were too busy to give me a room in the ER, and after an initial EKG they just sent me to wait, for hours. No one would tell me I was okay, or not in danger, I had no help or assurance. My mother eventually took me home, and I fell asleep. But from that day forward, my mind was naught but constant worry of what was wrong with my heart. How long I had left to live.

I began to have episodes daily, or if I was lucky, every few days. My boyfriend was away at college all week, and all my friends from school had graduated, so my life after school was being alone in my room with my thoughts and fears. I was convinced I was either dying or going crazy, and I had never wanted to just not be alive more in all my life.

To again summarize, it took months and two more ER trips before I finally started to see a cardiologist. Every night at the ER they ran the standard tests (EKG, bloodwork, chest x-ray, I even had a CT scan once for fear of a pulmonary clot) and dismissed me as a panic-stricken child. I never got any more help than a dose of Ativan and well-wishes. I would go home and continue to worry, continue to have symptoms and live in constant fear. I got the standard cardiologist tests, wore the monitor, and was told everything looked fine. I was even recommended to an electrocardiologist in Boston, and he basically told me, "Well, I think it's just anxiety, but in case it is an arrhythmia we could do a catheter ablation!" Now, I don't know how many of you know what that is, but in short it's like heart surgery while you're awake... no thank you... I told myself I would try and live without having it done just as a "what-if".

I ended up missing 62 days of school that year. I still graduated with a 4.0 GPA, but you can imagine that missing that much school meant that I was literally a wreck.

Skipping forward quickly, my actual panicking episodes began to space farther and farther apart as I tried to get a better hold on things and certain conditions in my life improved. My boyfriend was home for the summer, I wasn't as new to the fear, and I wasn't alone as much to think. Still, those heart palpitations and tachycardia plagued me, but it went from every week, to every few weeks, to every few months. Until about three weeks ago, I hadn't had an episode in 8 months.

That last one three weeks ago put me back in the ER again, though. Was a really crushing setback, and in a sense I'm still recovering.

I decided to join this site because I realize now that I need to do everything I can to handle my anxiety. In the past few months I've quit smoking, adopted a much more healthy diet and began counseling again. But I suppose I hope that, through this site, I'll be able to talk to and share my experiences with people, and I think that will help very much.

I do think I am doing much better now than I was a year ago. I'm far from perfect; my mind still races, I still analyze every tiny physical sensation I feel as if it were something fatal, and I've been checking my pulse what must be once every ten minutes for probably this whole year xD

But I am learning how to handle things, and most importantly am determined not to let my fear ruin my life as I had let it before. I hope that I can meet and speak with those of you who have shared similar experiences or have similar fears, and am always willing to take the time to talk and listen. Thanks, anyone and everyone. =]

(A list of still-persisting symptoms I experience that trigger my fear:
-Heart palpitations including skipped beats, temporarily irregular beat, fluttering and pounding.
-Tachycardia
-Nauseated, anxious feeling in the chest and stomach that comes and goes
-Frequent chest pain, ache, and discomfort, sometimes worsens with deep breaths
-Light-headed, strange feeling as if I'm just slightly out of it
-Soreness, but simultaneously restlessness in my whole body
-Random aches and pains
-Feeling like my heart beats too fast and hard from simple physical exertion

AND THE WORST THING:
-Constantly being aware of my heartbeat; feeling it in every part of my body, fingers, arm, head, chest, hearing it or just constantly feeling it so I'm always worrying about it.)

hanshan
26-03-13, 07:33
I have had heart arrhythmia on and off for the past few years (atrial fibrillation and flutter) and even I haven't had catheter ablation (I can control it with medication). I would wait until there is clear evidence of an arrhythmia with an aberrant pathway they can map before you have an ablation.

These days the electrocardiograms come with a computer that automatically analyses the heartbeat and gives its own diagnosis (which, unfortunately, seems to change every five minutes in my case). Nevertheless, it should be able to give an indication of whether you have self-standing tachycardia or a more potentially serious arrhythmia.

Are you taking any medication which can help control your tachycardia?

One consolation is that the kind of tachycardia you have seems to be more frequent in young people, and so presumably more likely to resolve as the years go by.

Don't be afraid of feeling your heartbeat throughout your body. Some people can't feel any beat, and they get terrified that their heart has stopped!

XxSilentEyes13xX
27-03-13, 17:36
Thanks for the reply!

I never really wanted to believe it was an arrhythmia, considering that every time I experience my palpitations and tachycardia, it's different. Some days it would be a buildup, then a sudden flip-flop/thud and then it would race, other days it just seemed to speed up more and more and stay racing.

Lately I haven't experienced these occurrences, but rather I've felt a flip-flop followed by about 30 seconds of an irregular beat before it returns to normal, or it will be racing, skip a beat then continue on slow, or that I just feel it seeming to flutter while it is pounding or racing.

This only happens sometimes, and most of the time I can ignore or dismiss it and it doesn't bother me, but other times it just seems to FEEL as if it is beating strangely, and I feel very nauseated and scared by this.
The thing is that they don't even happen that frequently, but when they do I just automatically feel very shaken; and it's hard for me to ignore and cope.

I've had so many EKG's, two electrocardiograms and the whole load of other tests, and all my cardiologist said about it was "Well, everything looks good." Because of that, he said he didn't want to put me on any sort of life-long medication when there might be no reason for me to have to take it.

Basically, I seem to get no real answers, ever.

I don't want to take prescribed anxiety medication, but I do take St. John's Wort to help. I had an 8 month period without any issues at all, and it's just seemed to recently strike again, and it's just very hard to accept that there is nothing wrong with me. >.<

hanshan
28-03-13, 02:46
Strictly speaking, any kind of tachycardia or irregular heartbeat is an arrhythmia, it's just that most people experience them occasionally without ill effects, so they are considered "normal". Even if you get them more often than other people and are distressed by them, many doctors will consider you normal. Most cardiologists feel most comfortable when dealing with heart muscle and electrical impulses, and feel out of their territory when dealing with anxiety.

If your heart is fundamentally healthy (as seen in an x-ray and echocardiogram) and you are not actually having an episode of tachycardia or irregular heartbeat when hooked up to a monitor, then the doctors will not be able to detect any abnormality. They won't doubt that you have episodes of supraventricular tachycardia, but they know that unless sustained for more than a day or so (and blood starts pooling in the atria with the potential to form clots) it may be distressing but not life-threatening.

I'm not qualified to give medical advice, but a beta-blocker (eg metoprolol) may be helpful, and you would not need to take it all the time. You should discuss this with a doctor.

Is there someone you can talk to on a regular basis? Does your college have counsellors who will talk with students? You should make it clear that you are not seeking medical advice, but help with the anxiety caused by your condition.

Take care.