PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

Bo5886
26-03-13, 03:56
Hello everyone. I have only been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks for the past 5 months, which I know isn't that long, but can honestly say it is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. I haven't been able to think straight since I started having these problems and is starting to affect my job and social life. I am looking forward to everyone's advice; I feel better already just by reading a few success stories on this forum. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me and am desperately trying to avoid the meds; just want to get my life back together!

Gotagetthroughthis
26-03-13, 04:32
:welcome:

kittikat
26-03-13, 04:41
Hi & welcome!

I am sure you will find lots of help & support here. I admire the fact that you want to deal with this med free. I am not sure how things work at your end, but some sort of Cognative Behaviour Therapy can really help you to learn how to manage panic & anxiety. Also read some self help literature and scroll through all the relevant info here. It's hard work but if you are determined you can make really good progress using the techniques to help you out of the panic spiral.

I wish you the best of luck. Kitti :)

Bo5886
26-03-13, 05:45
Thank you so much, already learning alot about the daily symptoms I am feeling in Self Help. I feel like my anxiety is only based on the fact that I actually have anxiety and the fear that I can have an panic attack at any minute. About the meds, was prescribed Citalopram a month ago but don't know what to do. I'm just a little nervous to start because not sure how it will change my daily life, which is already changing anyway I guess, but on the other hand, I'm sick of struggling through the work day with the fear I can have a panic attack at any minute when the symptoms start to get really bad. Will definitely be asking for advice in some of the other forums about this.

Thumbelina
26-03-13, 06:12
Hi Bo,
Its indeed affecting our work and life outside if work, because the feeling always there and the more trying to get rid of it the more it sticks around. If you try and jist accept the fact that thats the way you feel now and try to let the whole bunch of things as anxiety and panic atracks, health anx, upset stomach, no appetite, palpitations, shakes, bad sleep, desorientation, depersonalisation, blured vision and depressed feeling just to be around and just coexist with it - you will not believe how fast it will start dissapearing. I talk to it even sometimes though it sounds mad, bit i can say sometimes when it is really annoying and i am feeling totally spaced out in the middle of some important activity - i would say I dont have time for this you just keep doing whatever you doing - making me feel totally loopy and i just need to finish something here - its more important now. And then after some time i can feel head clearing up. The thing is anxiety only feeds of anxiety and it wants 100 attention and when we just let it be it looses its power..hlpe my humbled explanation of my experience is not too confusing...

Mark13
26-03-13, 17:04
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll benefit from being here, just as I have.

DoraFlora
26-03-13, 17:48
Don't think "that doesn't seem long".... any one of us can tell you that any amount of time with the discomfort of anxiety is enough time.

Hope as you look around you find things of value. I've only been a member for a few days and have already felt welcomed here and have read a few things worth incorporating into my own life/coping strategies.

Fear of an attack is horrible! I absolutely understanding that having anxiety causes anxiety! I am trying to consciously live in the moment. (not an easy task) Trying to breathe and say a mantra while breathing (like inhale and think "relax" and exhale and think "calm" or whatever works for you) helps keep me in the moment sometimes. Although in the midst of an attack it can be hard to focus on the breath...

Hope you find help here...

~Dora

glen hunt
26-03-13, 18:09
Welcome.
I have only just joined today and had immediate support from the community, so this place from what I have seen can definitely be of help to you.

Sandiepotter
26-03-13, 18:55
Hi ive only been a member for a few days so still trting to get to grips with the site, welcome