PDA

View Full Version : Help finding release besides physical

anx2005
26-03-13, 14:06
I have had anxiety for 7 years now. At my current job I have a student with new diagnosed anxiety. Student is in middle school. He has found that hitting things alleviates his symptoms immediately. Hitting inanimate objects like his locker.
He can't just go around hitting things at school. I understand this but I also understand his need to release his feelings. Frankly I am a little jealous he has a release and feels instant relief once he has hit something. I never found a release. Ever. Just had to learn to relax as best as I could through it. He is on vistaril 10mg.

Anyway, have any of you had to overcome this type of physical release? I would like to give him some advice on the best way to do so. What can he do in a school atmosphere. He can't go punch on a punching bag, he can't beat on a wall, he can't pace, he can't play the drums. UGH!! Those are the things he said works for him. I feel so bad for him. I know where he is at. I know how he feels. I want to help him.

Also, the school staff doesn't get it at all. If I had the money I would go back to school to be a counselor specializing in anxiety therapy. Everyone around here does not get it. I have dealt with students time and again with anxiety and there is no help for anyone in this area!!!!

I have a friend who is a Psychiatrist, he told me the only place that can assist with really fixing anxiety is 4 hours away. I feel so bad for these students. I don't know how to help them get through the school day.

Any advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!

PanchoGoz
26-03-13, 16:23
Be sure he is not suffering from anger or ADHD alongside...you could consider the fact he thinks he is "releasing" or letting our his anxiety...or maybe he is actually fighting it. His way of hitting things is his way of fighting it down, beating it into place. It is more important to let the sensations pass through you and not react to them. Fighting anxiety keeps it going as it keeps you tense. Instead of pacing around, he could do the opposite and sit down and relax his tense shoulders. The work of Claire Weekes is imensely helpful for anxiety and accepting it to get better.

Annie0904
26-03-13, 16:33
It seems to me like it is more a release of anger (which could be brought on through frustrations of anxiety). He needs to learn though that this is not an appropriate release. Maybe if you reinforce his good behaviour with rewards and try to channel the 'hitting things' to something more appropriate. Maybe a time out card to cool off some where? Will he talk to you about where he feels his anxieties stem from?