PDA

View Full Version : What's the latest on Pregabalin?

StevenN
26-03-13, 16:27
I've been reading through the archives and getting a very mixed picture on this drug. I've been prescribed it for my anxiety and though I know there are those that say no-one should ever pin much hope in a drug. I kinda feel it's all I have (I think like that when I'm at the bottom of a low).

Having said that, does anyone care to share their current experiences with this drug?

Many thanks
Steve

Mark13
26-03-13, 17:32
In short, it's the best drug I've been on after:

propranolol, thioridazine, doxepin, lofepramine, fluoxetine, dothiepin (dosulepin), fluvoxamine, citalopram and trazodone (those are over a 23 year period).

I do, however, need 15mg of mirtazapine a night to help me sleep.

As I've said several times in the pregabalin forum, I generally notice how well it's working when I accidentally miss a dose, because I spiral into an anxiety state very fast. It can take me a day or two to recover fully from a missed dose.

The drug itself has a half-life of around 6 hours, hence the need to take it twice or three times a day.

I'm so used to taking my drugs at night I have forgotten my morning dose 3 or 4 times. So I take a few to work in my bag now just in case :)

manwithnoname
26-03-13, 17:41
I've been reading through the archives and getting a very mixed picture on this drug. I've been prescribed it for my anxiety and though I know there are those that say no-one should ever pin much hope in a drug. I kinda feel it's all I have (I think like that when I'm at the bottom of a low).

Having said that, does anyone care to share their current experiences with this drug?

Many thanks
Steve

i have been taking pregabalin 100mg 3 times a day for the past week or so and it does help a little to take the edge off my anxiety

Mark13
26-03-13, 17:47
i have been taking pregabalin 100mg 3 times a day for the past week or so and it does help a little to take the edge off my anxiety
If it's helping you already you should get the full effect over the next 3 weeks. It's so gradual an improvement (in my own experience) that you don't realise the benefits till you look back at how anxious you used to be.

Hope it continues to work well for you.

Tufty
26-03-13, 18:42
Hello,
I've been on Pregabs for just over 8 weeks and it's been the easiest, fastest working drug for anxiety I have taken, I've been on 7 different SSRI's and TCA's in the past. I found it started working almost immediately but I did have some breakthrough anxiety for several weeks whilst increasing the dose. At 450mg a day it was pretty good for anxiety, I'd give it 8/10 but it doesn't do much for depression, I hadn't realised I was so down until the anxiety was under control and then I could think about how I was actually feeling. So now I'm taking it alongside Sertraline and the anxiety has increased during the start up period.

I would recommend Pregabs to treat anxiety, I mentioned to my GP that it seems to work in a similar way to Diazepam and he said that alot of inmates at Dartmoor prison are taking Pregabalin due to the relaxation effect it gives you and there is research going on to see if it could be used as needed rather than a regular basis. I will continue using it regularly until the Sertraline takes effect and then consider cutting back but it's brought me back from a very bad place.
Sam

StevenN
26-03-13, 22:59
Thanks for the replies. That all sounds very positive and encouraging. I'm four days in and feel crappy still. Looking forward to having it kick in (I hope it does).

As I've said several times in the pregabalin forum ...

Ah, I didn't relise there were separate forums for those. Thanks for the tipoff.

Mark13
28-03-13, 21:11
Thanks for the replies. That all sounds very positive and encouraging. I'm four days in and feel crappy still. Looking forward to having it kick in (I hope it does).

Ah, I didn't relise there were separate forums for those. Thanks for the tipoff.
It wasn't a deliberate hint :)

There are lots of sub-forms here, it takes a while to find your way around.