PDA

View Full Version : why do most anti depressants increase my anxiety?

shadowstriker
26-03-13, 21:23
Hi I have been diagnosed with gad and disthymia have tried a lot of anti depressants with no effect they make my anxiety worse drs say it can untill it kicks in but even when I stick with it for 8weeks it still does not go anyone know why? Been on all ssris snris trazadone mirtazapine lofepramine just feel hopeless citalopram was the only 1 to help me but been back on it 3 times and just makes me worse:(

maximus1975
27-03-13, 11:03
its tough to say do you want them for depression or anxiety? or a combination of both , have u tried venlfaxine before mitrazipine made me worse but myself and several other's have had good results of coarse i did the wrong thing and googled the drug and there are loads of people that have different results but so far so good.
you could try a short term coarse of diazepam to get u over the worst and get a bit of confidence going

Thumbelina
27-03-13, 12:04
Hi,
I have been in the same situation over 7 y ago when my anx was first professionally akhnowledged. I think they tried smth like 4 antidepress within few months and my attacks were just getting worse. When we left the country and traveled with work to anotber the new doctors i met advised to stick to one the best they thought for me at a time and to be patient. I was told it will get worse before it will get better. It can be up to 6 months until you get full effect of it. If you are willing to recover its important to be ready for sideefects and to be able to tolerate them. up to certain level i agree. If its totally unbearable then doc will advise what to do.
Take care

shadowstriker
27-03-13, 23:47
I am on veblafaxine am on 150mg currently cutting down to 75 then stopping was on it for 5 months didn't do anything for me I have mixed anxiety and depression for years drs said I had a personality disorder but never tested me for it but the new mental health team I'm under tested me question sheets and they said I don't have it I have disthymia ( persistent low mood milder form of depression) but not sure how I can make myself better things I used to enjoy now feel worthless I have even had ect without success

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

@maximus1975 u are very lucky to get diazepam drs around where I am don't prescribe it they try to fob you off with a antihistamine called permethazine witch does jack s*** lol

maximus1975
28-03-13, 13:52
i only got it mate as i was in trouble bigtime when my partner passed away i wanted to go with her they bailed me out with that it saved me

gem7
28-03-13, 18:00
i find anti depressants makes my anxiety worse too so i know how u feel i.m on trazodone been on it for years and i think it does more harm then good at first i was on 20mg then 50mg now i.m on 100mg still no change in me it just making me worse so i know how u feel :hugs:

shadowstriker
29-03-13, 17:49
I think it's called akathisia also had it when I was put on risperidone