PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else experienced insomnia caused by Pregabalin?

On Fire
27-03-13, 02:48
I am taking 300mg/day of Pregabalin (150mg morning and night) for anxiety, and have started experiencing insomnia - since I had my dosage raised from 150mg/day.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is it normal? Will it pass?

Thanks for any replies.

Mark13
27-03-13, 17:02
Difficult for me to say as I take mirtazapine to help me sleep, and it seems to have done a decent job throughout my pregabalin dosage changes.

That said, I'm not sleeping too well at the moment, and I'm reducing my dosage, so there may be a link.

Given that I've had no major long-term difficulties while on pregabalin, I would expect any insomnia to pass. Especially if it wasn't a problem for you at the lower dose.

Of course your insomnia may just be a coincidence and not related to the drug at all.

hanshan
28-03-13, 03:44
I haven't experienced any insomnia that I could put down to being caused by pregabalin. A quick check of the web doesn't indicate that it's a common side-effect, and in fact pregabalin can help relieve insomnia associated with anxiety in some people.

That said, everyone's reaction to medications is different. It may be that pregabalin is causing the insomnia, or there may be some other cause. Whatever the reason, the insomnia may be temporary. You should not discontinue without discussing with your doctor. Abrupt discontinuation is recorded as commonly causing insomnia.

SneakyPandaUK
10-04-13, 11:10
I have been prescribed this just for insomnia, a neurologist recommended it, I take 75 mg twice at night, but still can't sleep.

hanshan
10-04-13, 11:16
Sorry to hear that pregabalin isn't helping with your insomnia.

Are you taking 150 mg per day (twice 75 mg)? That's within therapeutic range, but some people need more.

Also, pregabalin is not a sleeping medication of itself. It may help sleep by over time reducing the anxiety that had been preventing sleep.

On Fire
11-04-13, 04:35
My insomnia has now largely cleared up. Thanks for replies.