PDA

View Full Version : Medication Phobia

Matilda1
27-03-13, 11:49
I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy in 6 days and I'm terrified of taking the bowel prep. I have an irrational fear that I'll have an allergic reaction to the medication.
The bowel prep consists of 3 tablets of Bisacodyl, Magnesium Citrate and Glycoprep which is the same as Colyte or Colonlytely.
I have researched the internet on these and they all say the same thing but no indication if anyone has ever suffered anaphylaxis from them.
It sounds crazy but I don't know if I can take it. I'm also worried about the sedation the dr gives you for the procedure in case I react to that.

Does anyone know if these drugs can have serious side effects?

Nat5711
27-03-13, 21:27
From what I know reactions to these kids of drugs are very rare!
I had a colonoscopy last year and the prep was the worst bit!! I had a fear that I would have a reaction to the prep aswell but I was fine its just a "what if" fear I had.
I think you will be fine :)

Matilda1
27-03-13, 23:48
Thanks Nat

Yes I've heard the prep is the worst. Not looking forward to it. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
I responded to your post in the newbie section as well.
Take care :)

Nat5711
28-03-13, 19:11
It honestly tastes HORRIBLE!! I won't lie and I think the fact that it tasted so bad made me feel sick! I wasn't constantly on the toilet aswell like I thought I'd be I just went when needed, the fact I couldn't eat was bad too lol I was starving. But I really would try calm down because its not as bad as you think it will be.
I know it's easy for me to say that coz I'm not in your situation but I can honestly say you will feel 100% better after having it done as you can find out what your problems are. If I had to have one again I wouldn't be as worried this time round. And thanks for your reply I've also responded :)
Hope it all goes well.
My diagnosis was proctitis, something I have to live with forever but I was so convinced it was cancer so I was very thankfull.