PDA

View Full Version : How do you get an MRI (or any other) scan on your head without doctor's referral?

Dynamito
28-03-13, 08:35
I know I've only had these symptoms a week, but I just feel like they're not going away. Daily light headedness, all day long, I just fear working out or anything in case I fall over or pass out.

I have had a mild headache which is annoying me. It's on the left side of my head. Sometimes the headache is on top of my head, sometimes above my eyes, sometimes on both temples, sometimes on just the left temple.

I am getting fed up of this. My doctor said yesterday that it could be a head cold. I have had nasal congestion for a while now, but I never experienced this lightheaded ness. The ear congestion is newer, and my doc said my ears were very waxy, but he never suggested what I could use to clear that up. He was kind of useless yesterday, I don't know why I bothered.

He said wait a week and see if it gets worse, but I don't want to be going through this for another week. If it is just anxiety, then I'd rather have a scan to rule everything out, otherwise I will still be anxious until it goes, which might not happen if it's anxiety/stress.

What do you think, guys?

Lilharry
28-03-13, 09:32
I would definitely give it a bit longer - a week isn't very long. I know it's tough to ride it out, but you will more than likely start to feel better and wonder why you were anxious about it in the first place. Ear congestion can make you dizzy - being stuffed up affects your balance, so could easily be that. You could try doing steam inhalation to clear the congestion and see if that helps. YOu can get drops from the chemist to put in the water that help to clear you out.

rubynoodles
28-03-13, 09:33
Could you try and see another gp in the practice? See what advice they suggest?

I imagine that the only way you could get a very quick mri is to go private.

I saw a neurologist privately last week for ongoing visual problems as I would have had to wait months on the nhs. He would have seen me without a referral but he preferred to have a gp referral which my gp did do.

He did say to me that I could have a brain scan but in his opinion and experience they can often cause the patient more anxiety than necessary because 1 in 4 scans will show an abnormality and they just can not explain what it is and as I have health anxiety and am a VERY anxious person he didnt recommend this.

I have similar problems to you and suffer from TMJ disorder (clicking and grinding jaws). I know from experience that anxiety and muscle tension go hand in hand:(

If you really want a scan you could try your local private hospital and see how much they charge.

Hope everything goes well:)

reddevil
28-03-13, 10:43
I asked to go private, could not afford it but I was desperate.

Doctor said yes and got reception to write a letter for me.

Carly Lou
28-03-13, 11:00
Just like to share i have been feeling exactly the same way as you.... dizziness, light headed. mild headache... im also convinced my spacial awareness is a bit off as well.... its all anxiety.... i went to the docs finally after dealing with this for about 3 weeks... whilst i was in the docs i had no light headedness or headache... he mentioned about was i seeing things which i wasnt and having forgetfulness etc which also i didnt.... since then ive had those symptoms... its all in the mind... im better at night time.... the route of having private tests is a habit hard to break. i did this a couple years ago and spent lots of money... it was good for my peace of mind but not for my bank balance... basically there was nothing wrong with me then and there isnt now... its my anxiety and mind playing tricks on me... it does all feel very real and i can work myself up into a absoloute state convincing myself i have a brain tumour etc... but i was fine for a year until i had a crisis in jan and then its all come back... so i know its anxiety ..... being run down and stress made it all rear its ugly head.... ive read many threads from now and back years ago about our symptoms with our heads... all anxiety and no one was ever diagnosed with a brain tumour

Hope this helps you xxx

Carls xxx

meche
28-03-13, 11:00
I would listen to your doctor and forget about requesting any scans or MRI's!

I don't mean for that to sound harsh but there are a number of things it is more likely to be other than what you are thinking! I had all those symptoms last year and it turned out to be a combination of tension headaches (which can last for weeks), a problem with my inner ear (which was causing the dizziness) and high anxiety... all that together is a recipe for disaster to an anxious mind! Hope you feel better soon.... you know you will :D! xx

Annie0904
28-03-13, 11:48
I totally agree with Meche especially since you have only had the symptoms for a week. It does sound more like a head cold to me and maybe congested sinus. Try a steam inhalation and a hot compress over the sinus area (top of head and under eyes)

countrygirl
28-03-13, 15:39
You cannot have an mri without a Dr referral even privately. all the private companies need a request from a Dr or other qualified people for example for spines it can be osteopath or chiropractor but must be qualified.

Privately the cheapest mri for one area eg brain is just over £200 if youa re willing to wait a few weeks, the quicker you want it the more expensive it is.

As everyone has said its very early days - give it a few more weeks.

xtremx
28-03-13, 17:41
You cannot have an mri without a Dr referral even privately. all the private companies need a request from a Dr or other qualified people for example for spines it can be osteopath or chiropractor but must be qualified.

Privately the cheapest mri for one area eg brain is just over £200 if youa re willing to wait a few weeks, the quicker you want it the more expensive it is.

As everyone has said its very early days - give it a few more weeks.

Yes this is correct and also even if you got a mri done privately most doctor will not even look at it as it has not been ask for by them.

But coming from a person who suffers badly from headaches and the same as you explain I would tend to say it is a headcold kind of thing from the sinuses.

I can get headaches like that and they last on/off for 3 weeks at a time..

Dynamito
28-03-13, 19:01
Yes this is correct and also even if you got a mri done privately most doctor will not even look at it as it has not been ask for by them.

But coming from a person who suffers badly from headaches and the same as you explain I would tend to say it is a headcold kind of thing from the sinuses.

I can get headaches like that and they last on/off for 3 weeks at a time..

True. like a previous poster mentioned, it is most likely from problems in my ear. The doctor said that they were very waxy, so it well be that.

Does anyone know how I can clear up earwax? I am surprised he didn't tell me how to get rid.

almamatters
28-03-13, 19:05
I was unable to go for a private MRI as my GP would not give me a referral. I assumed at the time that you just rang a private hospital and went along, but where I live this is not the case. I eventually got my MRI on the NHS after a 6 week wait.

xtremx
28-03-13, 19:18
True. like a previous poster mentioned, it is most likely from problems in my ear. The doctor said that they were very waxy, so it well be that.

Does anyone know how I can clear up earwax? I am surprised he didn't tell me how to get rid.

Hi mate first off never use cotton buds/end of a pen or anything like that as it pushes the wax deeper into the ear canal and in the end with damage the eardrum.

You can buy drops ant and chemist of supermarket or you could use olive oil slightly above room temp get some hot water in a bowl an use something like a egg cup and put some olive oil into the egg cup and leave it for a few minutes and then apply a few drops to each ear and after a few days it will break it down and allow the earwax soften and drop out.

Hope this helps

JaneC
28-03-13, 20:04
The doctor should have offered you treatment to remove the wax. My husband has this done regularly at our surgery.

Dynamito
28-03-13, 20:12
Hi mate first off never use cotton buds/end of a pen or anything like that as it pushes the wax deeper into the ear canal and in the end with damage the eardrum.

You can buy drops ant and chemist of supermarket or you could use olive oil slightly above room temp get some hot water in a bowl an use something like a egg cup and put some olive oil into the egg cup and leave it for a few minutes and then apply a few drops to each ear and after a few days it will break it down and allow the earwax soften and drop out.

Hope this helps

Yes, thanks that does help a lot. To be honest, my doctor was pretty hopeless, so at least I have this place to come to for advice. I have to say, it is a bit better today, but I'm still a little stressed with things at the moment, so hopefully I can calm myself lol.

Lilharry
28-03-13, 20:24
Yes, thanks that does help a lot. To be honest, my doctor was pretty hopeless, so at least I have this place to come to for advice. I have to say, it is a bit better today, but I'm still a little stressed with things at the moment, so hopefully I can calm myself lol.

Sometimes doctors are pretty useless for simple stuff like that. You actually often get better help by going to a pharmacy. The olive oil thing is what my dad was told to do by his doctor when he had similar symptoms to you.

cattia
28-03-13, 20:51
You should try Hopi ear candles. A bit alternative but they work great, you need to get someone to help you so you don't set your hair on fire!

illgetthere
28-03-13, 22:41
I've suffered head aches now for 9 months not nice at all if I had the money I would most definitely pay for a scan I'm still yet to accept its anxiety maybe that's why they ain't gone away? Who nos I for 1 don't

Dynamito
29-03-13, 18:57
Thank You, guys. I really appreciate the advice. The giddiness has definitely improved, but I am still stressed out somewhat and anxious, so that doesn't help. The headaches were on the left side yesterday, but now they're on the right side lol. It doesn't want to make it's mind up. But thankfully the dizziness is getting a little better. I just need to get a good night's sleep, because recently I haven't been sleeping well at all.

Thanks again, guys.