PDA

View Full Version : Daughter has OCD - nonmed compliant

Meggy
16-09-06, 19:52
I'm not asking for any help, don't think there is anything anyone can do. But I'm informing I s'pose. My daughter has significant OCD diagnosed around 12 years(she is 27 now) of age by a neurologist and psychologist. The medicines available for her are only partially helpful. She no longer takes them, hasn't for a long time. She tends to deny she has this. Denies too she has Bipolar II, admits to new diagnosed epilepsy, and asthma. There are new medications out now. It breaks my heart she won't give them a try. Her OCD waxes and wanes. Her type is self mutilating: she plucks out her brows, lashes and all nails She also used to shower excessively (up to 6 times a day), slap the wall in a certain place up to 30 or more times. By sheer will and I think because she didn't want to take medicine, maybe too because her OCD was going thru a "silent" period all of this got better or stopped but she refuses to see me, which to me may be a sign she's having problems again.

I've given her this site URL. I so hope she posts, finds out it's not just her. She's not "defective".

OCD to me is so recognizable as a neuro disorder. Not a "Mental illness". I think probably her father and grandmother had it too but never sought help, was never diagnosed.

Bless all of you who suffer from this. It sure irritates me when there are movies and shows making OCD "funny". It's not as you know. My heart goes out to all of you and I hope you all can find your solutions.

Meggy

mackncody
22-09-06, 07:42
I think it very admirable what you are trying for your daughter. Please do try to get her on, its a lovely place. She can PM if she likes. I also have OCD. Please, please tell her shes not a freak. Tell her over and over again, no matter how times you have to say it until it becomes real to her.

hope this helps
Amanda

If nothing else...I will survive.

To: SSJHSMH-U are light and my heart and strength. I will protect you in this life or the next always.

Meggy
22-09-06, 23:33
Thank you Amanda. I know she's having a very hard time right now. Another daughter said from stress she believes her bipolar II and OCD symptoms have flared. I write to her every day if only to tell her I have always, will always love her just the way she is which isn't hard for me to say, because I do. She has taken so many hits from this, so many stupid statements usually like "just quit it" which, as you probably know, is too simplistic, she's gunshy about talking about it now. She has never talked to another that I know of who has OCD, nor read a support forum. I know she was very upset as a child seeing her father's OCD which got worse and worse. He never sought treatment or support. We're now divorced but the children tell me it is sad that he denies he has such a terrific problem that obviously is interferring with his marriage and life. I wonder how much this scares her or influences her. I have written and told her how much help I've received here and I've forwarded to her threads I've gotten help on. I've suggested too if she doesn't feel she wants to post right now, perhaps if she just reads she'll see she's not a freak. She's a lovely young woman with a disorder that many people struggle with as I do with epilepsy. I have suggested to her if she finds a poster she feels comfortable with she could write them an introducing PM. Maybe she won't take advantage of this resource right away but at least she does know it's here and when she's ready she can use it.

Meggy