PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy/ectopic heartbeats/feeling cr*p

angie3077
16-09-06, 21:05
Hi, I am now 12 and a half weeks pregnant and had my first scan a couple of days ago, everything was fine and I got a great picture of bubby so all should be well but its not and I am just feeling down most of the time! What is wrong with me!
I spent the week 6 to 10 being sick all day every day and ended up at the doctors very dehydrated and generally very poorly but all has got a lot better since week 10 and although I still get waves of nausea I am feeling sooo much better than I did in that area, but.......its these ectopic heartbeats that just get to me, they are now happening so frequently and I just can't help thinking there is some underlying problem here and the docs are missing something! I can't help but also worry that if I am getting these funny beats then is my baby too, that might sound real silly but these are the kind of thoughts I battle with everyday. My biggest fear (being a complete health worrying freak) is of course the labour! I keep thinking my heart wont be able to deal with it and I will die. Oh I really have had enough of these flippin' ectopic beats, why can't they just leave me alone! What a moaner!
I do have an important question though for other people that suffer with these - do you seem to get these a lot more during/after eating? I seem to have this so much, always when eating or just after! really weird but does anyone know of any studies that have linked the two? I have run so many searches on this but never really found anything but I ma convinced that eating sets these beats off in a way!
Also I wanted to ask ( for all the mums or mums to be) what were/are your moods like whilst pregnant? God my moods are awful, I have never been getting so angry and argumentitive in all my life and I just can't seem to control my anger at the moment at all! ( which does scare me a little! ) I just am genrally feeling very low at the moment and seem to have so much going on in my head I can't shake myself out of it! Thanks for anyone who has taken the time to read me waffling on!

Angie xx

jodie
16-09-06, 21:43
hi angie

i feel for you i realy do i started with ectopics 7 years ago and they were worse when i was pregnant i went through labor fine i did get a few but still fine the doc sead they are nothing to stress about its hard i know .
i have had a real bad day with them today getting them every few beats somtimes and they realy scare me but i have been told i am ok .
i also get them after eating i was told is was because your tummy if full and pushes aganst your lungs a bit witch puts a bit of preasure on your heart its the same when you are having a baby but they say its not a bad thing and you will be fine just not a nice feeling
i get them when i go to bed as soon as i lay down they start ,the best thing you can do is take your mind off them as soon as you get stressed they ger worse .
did you have them befor you were pregnant .?
jodie

angie3077
16-09-06, 22:36
Hi Jodie, yes I did have them before I was pregnant a I have had them on and off for as long as I can remember but just seems to be worse at the moment. I can understand that the hormones can increase them whilst pregnant but I just can't help but be terrified of them. Its sad to hear you also suffer from them as being a panic/anxiety sufferer for over 7 years now I can truly say that this is the worst symptom I have ever had to deal with! Did yours increase during pregnancy then slow down after you gave birth? I definatley agree with you that they are worse with stress, but when you are so scared you can't stop yourself getting so worked up about them, its a vicious cycle. Thanks for you reply.

Angie x

carly123
20-09-06, 09:58
Hey Angie

Im really glad you posted this because I thought I was going mad thinking these ectopics get worse after eating- they really do. The problem I've been getting is after our evening dinner I feel panicky and light-headed because of my heart doing funny things! I've had to start eating smaller portions more often- this does help quite a lot for me. Also, as your pregnancy progresses, you'll probably prefer to 'graze' rather than sit down to a big meal. Made me feel sick!
I've had ectopics for years and have had 3 natural births, all only a couple of hours long, with no probs, and I'm TINY!(5 foot and 7 stone usually) SO YOU'LL BE ABSOLUTELY FINE.

Hope some of this helps.

Love Carlyxx

angie3077
20-09-06, 11:04
Hi Carly,

Thank you so much for replying, I am so glad I am not alone in this. I am the same as you, I have to eat very small portions as opposed to larger meals....but as I am pregnant I have to eat very little but very often! lol.....otherwise I start to feel sick!!
It is also so reassuring to hear you have had 3 children and these ectopic beats caused you no problems during the births. I am still getting a lot of these beats every day and yes they still terrify me, I just can't get over them! I just wish that something would 'click' in my mind and I could start to deal with this better.
Again thank you so much for your comments.

Angie

Sair
20-09-06, 18:18
Hi!

I'm so glad I have found this post! I haven't posted on here for a few months as my ectopic beats have been loads better but they have started again and today have been really scary.

I too am pregnant (after having IVF); I am about 6 weeks pg and I have my first scan next week. Obviously the last few months have been quite stressful although because I'm a teacher I had my treatment during the summer hols so it meant I didn't have to have time off work and the stress of explaining my absence.

I too am worried that somehow these ectopic beats will be harmful to my baby/ies. I am worried that I may not be getting the oxygen I need cos my heart isn't functioning properly (probably sounds really stupid I know!!!) which, especially later, on will affect the baby too.

It is so encouraging to hear of people who have had healthy pregnancies and labours with this problem but I still can't help worrying. I think one of the reasons they got a bit better was because I started going to the gym quite regularly but obviously cos of my treatment I haven't been for a few weeks.

I too find that they are worse after eating... I just wish I could forget about them!!!

Wishing you a very happy and healthy and hopefully ectopic beat free pregnancy, Angie.

Love Sarah xxx

Louise
20-09-06, 22:02
Hi there, Miss Ignorant here, what are these ectopic heartbeats you're talking about? I get missed beats all the time, jumping and fluttering, is this the same thing? By the way, I'm not out surfing for new a new "illness"!!, I actually had loads of heart tests done several years ago and all was ok.

angie3077
21-09-06, 11:21
Hi,

Sarah, congratulations to you on the successful IVF, thats great news and I hope your scan goes well next week, its so exciting see baby/babies for the first time on that screen, however small they look! It does not sound silly that you have the worry of this effecting the baby as its only normal for us to think this way, I am going to mention this to my GP/Midwife at my next appointment, although I think that I would have been informed if there were any risks as I have been back and forth with these funny beats for 7 years so my doctor is VERY aware! I agree with you that is is really encouraging to hear people that suffer with these and have normal pregnancies/births....reassured me loads!

Hi Louise....I think what you are describing is ectopic beats, people often describe them as 'missed' beats but in fact the heart does not miss a beat at all. The second beat just comes a little to soon which creates and momentary pause before it gets back to the normal rythm...its the little pause that we feel and describe as missed beat/flutter.thud
(something along those lines anyway). Glad to hear all the tests you had confirmed there was nothing to worry about though! Although I don't think this funny sensation ever really gets easier to deal with?

Angie

Louise
26-09-06, 16:37
Hi Angie, yeah, after I posted that I read a bit about ectopics and thought Okay.. so that's what they are, now I don't need to worry about them any more!! Anyway back to your topic of babies please!....

angie3077
17-10-06, 21:42
Hi Guys, really panicing today as thought the funky beats had calmed down again but for the last few days they have gone mad again. Can I just ask, does anyone ever experience the missed beats that seem to flutter/vibrate too? as if the heart just gets stuck! This is whats happening now and its freaking me out (nothing unusual there!)[Sigh...]

Back to being pregnant though....everything (apart from the funky beats) is good so far.....got my 20 week scan in about 3 weeks....so going to find out what I am having....too impatient to wait! Pregnancy in some ways has calmed me a little as I know I can't afford to keep letting myself get into the right states that I usually get into ......although the constant niggling at the back of my mind is always there.....always thinking my heart is going to pack up is the worst one though. I now I have so much to look forward to but still can't overcome the morbid horrible thoughts....its torture! But hey the good days good, just have to deal with these bad days as well as I can. Hope everyone is well?

Angie x

spuds
17-10-06, 22:08
I have ectopic heartbeats which arose after an operation. Had them checked out and was told I was ok, but have been anxious about them ever since - at times very bad and almost agoraphobic. Angie, just like you I was always thinking I was about to drop dead. However, a year after the first op I had to have another big operation. Op was fine - anaethetist told me that the ectopics actually went when I was under the general anaesthetic. This showed me two things - the ectopics are anxiety related (and fed by my anxiety) and that, however weird my heart feels, it was strong enough to get me through a major op. I didn't have to have the op, but it was advised. They would not have operated if ectopics were any cause for alarm whatsoever.

angie3077
18-10-06, 11:43
That is very reassuring Spuds! Thank you so much.

snoopy
26-10-06, 19:20
Hi,

I've had skippy for over a year now, brought on after a misscarraige. expecting baby No. four any day, and am worried the whole experence will be ruined by the skips.

Had all test done, all normal. But have skippy every day. What am i supposed to think?

Soo fed up with them tody. Although! they are getting slightly better. Had such a bad summer with them.

Don't understand why they are still here as my anxiety levels are 0 now?

angie3077
27-10-06, 15:33
Hi Snoopy,

Sorry to hear you are getting these too, they truly are a nightmare! I am having them soooo bad every day at the moment and I am convinced I am going to die at any moment because of them, they just feel different, stronger and I am so scared. I too have had tests done but am sure they are missing something still, just something is not right!

Angie

snoopy
28-10-06, 19:50
Hi Angie,

Please! please! Don't think they are going to kill you. They will NOT!

I have just spoken to my G.P about my Echo results, all was compleatly normal. She said she has many patients with this, it is soo common. 95% of anixety suffers get them. I now believe for the first time after a year of hell with them that their is nothing wrong with my heart. and guess what. They are abaiting already in strength and frequency.

Snoopy x