PDA

View Full Version : Rat Scratch, Please read, Need Some advice. Please.

footballking
29-03-13, 21:40
Man i'm so worried. I don't what to do. I feel ill.

I'e been scratched by a rat two times in the past 4 days, and i'm not feeling too good. I am really worried, that I could die as my breathing isnt good and my heart rate is always high. The bite occurred in my sleep. I wish I new what to do. It's a wild rat i'm guessing, as I live close to a train station.

Please help, any advice. Don't know what to do.

Annie0904
29-03-13, 21:48
If you have been bitten by a rat I would go to your out of hours surgery and have them check it as they can cause infection. You will probably need to take antibiotics.

Bekzie
29-03-13, 21:50
I agree with Annie, out of hours doctor or even ring NHS direct for advice, just to be safe

Annie0904
29-03-13, 21:50
Sorry I misread that..you said scratched and not bitten. I would ring NHS Direct and get advise from them.

footballking
29-03-13, 21:54
it's got crust over it already i.e healing, it's like a scratch that you get when you get a papercut, except it's on my cheek. Just my luck.

cattia
29-03-13, 21:56
Are you sure it's a rat? If there are rats in your house the first thing I would do is call the council and get pest control out right away. I would also go to the out of hours Dr as you won't get a GP appointment until next week.

Just to add, your feeling of illness and heart going faster etc is more than likely your anxiety about the rest bite.

footballking
29-03-13, 22:19
Are you sure it's a rat? If there are rats in your house the first thing I would do is call the council and get pest control out right away. I would also go to the out of hours Dr as you won't get a GP appointment until next week.

What else could it be that's scratching me, we had a rat problem a couple of months ago. Caught them in rat traps. i'm so afraid.

Would this type of thing show in a full blood count?

Ofcourse I googled, and found that someone died within a few days of something to do with a rat bite/scratch.

Damn. scared myself silly.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

I agree with Annie, out of hours doctor or even ring NHS direct for advice, just to be safe

Don't know how you guys cope with all this anxiety. I'm losing control.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Sorry I misread that..you said scratched and not bitten. I would ring NHS Direct and get advise from them.

Don't know how you guys cope with all this anxiety. I'm losing control.

Annie0904
29-03-13, 22:24
I think you should call NHS direct as I think it may be best for you to have antibiotics but I'm no doctor so best to seek medical advise.

footballking
29-03-13, 22:30
I think you should call NHS direct as I think it may be best for you to have antibiotics but I'm no doctor so best to seek medical advise.

I'm awaiting a call back from out of hours GP. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'l be ok. Just hate that I googled.

Edie
29-03-13, 22:54
If it's Weil's Disease you're worried about, this is a bacterial infection which responds to antibiotics. You can catch it through contact with rat urine, so the rat would have had to have wet urine on its feet when it scratched you. This is very unlikely.

Calling the GP was a sensible thing to do. It's worth checking your tetanus is up to date. The risk of catching anything is really, really low, and if you get any symptoms your GP will have it on record that you may have been bitten/scratched by a rat.

Maybe time to invest in a sonic rat deterrer.

Annie0904
29-03-13, 22:54
Let us know how you get on please :hugs:

Lilharry
30-03-13, 00:17
I highly doubt it was even a rat that scratched you to be honest - more likely you scratched yourself in your sleep, but definitely go to the doctor to be sure and get some more rat traps! You'll be fine.

nomorepanic
30-03-13, 01:16
How did a rat bite you?

Rats won't go near people so it is highly unlikely

footballking
30-03-13, 01:42
How did a rat bite you?

Rats won't go near people so it is highly unlikely

My house. It's kept clean, yet they still get in sometimes. I'm just gonna leave it. It was a few scratches.

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 ----------

I highly doubt it was even a rat that scratched you to be honest - more likely you scratched yourself in your sleep, but definitely go to the doctor to be sure and get some more rat traps! You'll be fine.

Not much a doctors gonna say anyway, they called me , and said just keep an eye on your temperature, as the scratch is not deep enough to be an infection.

Who knows.

nomorepanic
30-03-13, 01:45
So you scratched yourself in the night probably.

You need to work on the why you think it was a rat thing though when it is not likely

That is catastophising

footballking
30-03-13, 01:48
So you scratched yourself in the night probably.

You need to work on the why you think it was a rat thing though when it is not likely

That is catastophising

A rat has been seen in my house, we can't catch it. It's likely because it's happened before.

nomorepanic
30-03-13, 01:53
Rats would not come near you and scratch you though

footballking
30-03-13, 01:58
Rats would not come near you and scratch you though

I understand it sounds stupid lol. I am not saying a rat intentionally came up to me and was contemplating whether to scratch me or not. It might have just been moving around, and caught me, I don't know why.

I'm guessing you wouldn't believe that 6 months ago, one rat was biting the bottom of my door for about 1 hour, it had chewed off a lot of the bottom of the door. I was surprised, trust me. I was always a skeptic.

It's all irrational, but it happened.

nomorepanic
30-03-13, 02:02
Ok well get rid of the rats then that eliminates the potential problem

How on earth are rats getting in to the home?

footballking
30-03-13, 02:05
Ok well get rid of the rats then that eliminates the potential problem

How on earth are rats getting in to the home?

I have no idea, I guess there must be some way they are getting in, we got rid of them 6 months ago.

Our house is always kept clean. Now how am i going to sleep tonight lol, damn. hate it.

Gotagetthroughthis
30-03-13, 02:07
Its very unlikely rats are crawling around a house and if they are they are unlikely to be coming near people or even getting up on a bed and scratching or biting you. Especially while you are asleep doing no harm to it. It would just walk past you if it did come near you.

Cant there be any other explanation for this? I would of thought you would of woken up when this rat scratched/bit you?

footballking
30-03-13, 02:12
Its very unlikely rats are crawling around a house and if they are they are unlikely to be coming near people or even getting up on a bed and scratching or biting you. Especially while you are asleep doing no harm to it. It would just walk past you if it did come near you.

Cant there be any other explanation for this? I would of thought you would of woken up when this rat scratched/bit you?

All I remember is, I had a lot of vivid dreams of death. So who knows to be exact. and no, I did not wake up with a rat on my face.

Lilharry
30-03-13, 02:50
I believe that you've had rats in your home and that they chew on stuff. They can cause a lot of damage, but very unlikely that it was crawling on your face and even more unlikely that while it was crawling on your face it slipped and scratched you. Get a professional exterminator in to get rid of them once and for all to put your mind at ease, because they can be hard to get rid of. But don't assume that a scratch on your face was caused by a rat - there are many other far more logical explanations for a small scratch and no reason to worry about it.

cattia
30-03-13, 09:16
I agree, I think if you were having bad dreams it's most likely you scratched yourself. Anxiety makes us jump to the worst conclusions but of course they usually aren't the most logical! I would definitely deal with the rat problem then you won't have to worry any more. Best of luck.