PDA

View Full Version : Help, I think I'm inhaling acid!

Orange Lightning
30-03-13, 14:42
And here I thought I was getting better..! I've been trying to wean off PPIs lately because I think they've been making me feel worse. It seems I was right! After a few days of horrid acid "rebound" I've been virtually symptom free, with a little help from some hypnotherapy. All except for something very, very scary.

I've got an awful lot of gas still, and it causes some very throaty burps all through the day, even when I first wake up, sometimes leaving a strange taste behind. Trouble is whenever I belch I suddenly get a sore, dry throat and become VERY short of breath, which causes palpitations. Furthermore if I try and take a deep breath I feel like I'm inhaling something small. Often it makes me cough or feels like something's gone up my nose. Worst of all, if the belch is large enough I get a burning sensation in the back of my neck and face and my tongue hurts. Eek! I don't usually get heartburn and I know what my usual indigestion feels like, so...

Seems my symptoms have become very different again! Can all this be anxiety too? I hope I'm not in danger of damaging my throat or lungs right now..!

Anxious_gal
30-03-13, 23:07
Sounds like reflux which the stomach acid can go up into your throat.
Taking something for the acid should help.

Orange Lightning
31-03-13, 12:20
Sounds like reflux which the stomach acid can go up into your throat.
Taking something for the acid should help.

Yeah I take Ranitidine, Lansoorazole and Gaviscon Advance with no effect. All the while I'm getting worse, desperatly trying not to burp so I don't get aspiration pnemonia but EVERY burp makes me so much worse!!!

Pinktel
31-03-13, 12:42
Orange I remember replying on another of your threads and I think you should re read some of the posts you have started because I actually think these symptoms sound very similar to ones you have previously had, albeit you may be focusing on slightly different aspects of your symptoms.

As for aspiration pneumonia, crickey :scared15: I thought that was something which happened to people with like Parkinson's, or motor neurone, or people having seizures, basically very poorly people who have very real and impaired swallowing mechanisms. If your immune system is averagely okay I cannot see that just because you have decided you burp too much that puts you at risk of bacterial pneumonia.

You mention great lists of antacids you take, yet you say they have no effect, why are you taking them then? If you genuinely feel they offer no relief then I would stop them.

People change through life, perhaps you are just going through a period where you are more gassy etc, I think you had an endoscopy at some point? We're the results satisfactory? If so then you need to focus your efforts on overcoming your health anxiety and not focusing on every bodily symptom and function in such minutiae or you will send yourself to despair.