PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Thyroid problem please help

Nico
30-03-13, 15:26
I had a blood test back in August which showed that I had a slightly over-active Thyroid, however the Doctor did not seem too alarmed by it. Then in November I had another blood test to check again, and it came back completely normal. However I now worry some mistake was made on my second blood tests as I fit many of the symptoms of an over-active Thyroid.
Tiredness
Sore dry eyes (no bulging though)
Mood swings
Anxiety(obviously)
Frequent stool passing and urinating
Excess sweating
tremor in my hands (sometimes, can still write fine etc.)
Fats heart rate
breathlessness
Palpatations.
The list could go on.
However I do not have a swollen neck (goitre) which most do have.
I am not sure if this is serious, thanks so much to all who answer.
I am a 17 year old otherwise healthy male, 6'1, not overweight.
thanks again
Nick

Pinktel
30-03-13, 16:15
Whilst I don't have overactive - i am underactive - I am up to speed on what your TSH values should be and what your actual thyroid levels should be - if you can find out what the previous TSH and level of T4 was which were raised and then what the subsequent levels were which were within normal I can tell you what "normal" is...

If you all your surgery they should give you these values, if the telephonist is sniffy about it say that you want to know the TSH and the T4 values for each test so you know how borderline you were each time.

also, you can always request to be re tested in a few more months...

the times i have been tipping into overactive have been when i have taken too much thyroxine, I know when it happens as I am ravenously hungry, I get really warm all the time and feel a very strong heart beat, plus I am really firing on all cylinders - but it is anxiety in a different way to my usual anxiety - like my mind really cannot switch off and is racing, there is no way I can sit still even, it's a very definite feeling of being twitchy!

Nico
30-03-13, 16:42
Thank you for the reply, I don't quite feel how you described when your over active. I just don't know whether to dismiss stuff as anxiety or to take it seriously (I heard that it was super rare in guys??). Did your Thyroid problem cause swelling?. I can't get an appointment for three weeks and am a tad worried.
Thanks
Nick

Pinktel
30-03-13, 17:23
well i wouldn't worry particularly especially if the last results were within normal range - but as i say if you can get hold of the actual values then you would be a lot wiser as to how hyper you were...

I haven't had a goitre - not a sign of one whether under or over active.

I think you should do your best to calm down about it, easier said than done i know, but definitely get those values from the surgery so you can see just how low your TSH was and how high your T4 was, that will tell you loads.