PDA

View Full Version : Migraine prodrome

JaneC
31-03-13, 15:45
Last night I felt hideous. After (and during) a dreadful day at work I wanted to burst into tears. I wanted to self-harm, was convinced something had happened to my husband because I hadn't heard from him all day and was also convinced that my work wouldn't have me back due to issues with a co-worker. I then totally freaked out when we got lost after picking my daughter up from a party. We ended up on a dual carriageway (I avoid those normally because I panic) in the pitch dark and I couldn't remember how to switch on full beam. Even when we got back to lit roads I felt I couldn't quite see properly.

I woke up this afternoon with a migraine. I should know by now that the sort of things I've described above happen when I'm in the prodrome stage of one but I never ever recognise them at the time as that at the time and always think I'm just cracking up.

Anyone else get this? I find it incredibly frightening.

starlight78
31-03-13, 22:31
My brother struggles with migraines and describes a real spike in his anxiety and low mood just prior to one and during. X

JaneC
31-03-13, 22:40
Thanks for you reply Starlight, it really does help to know others experience this, otherwise I feel like a freak. Do you know if he is aware at the time that this is what is causing the him to feel off? I only ever realise afterwards xx

JaneC
01-04-13, 10:36
Next to no sleep last night and working a double shift today :weep:

Tessar
01-04-13, 12:40
hi jane. there's no doubt that sometimes a load of stress in my partners case will lead to a migraine. for me its always hormone related. but for my partner there can be a lead up which 'after the event' becomes clear. its just so hard to notice it at the time isnt it? YOu did really well getting home ok; i can appreciate why being lost & ended up on an unfamiliar road & not getting your lights to work when you needed them must have a a major stress. wow a double shift? that's a toughie es;ecially as you havent slept. well, usually i;d say the best thing is to avoid known triggers; one of which would be excessive tiredness but its not always easy to avoid the triggers is it? regarding your job, are you able to lay off the double shifts? sometimes we all have isues with co-workers. is it something you fell will settle down? Was it just a peak yesterday becaue of the added worry about your husband?

JaneC
02-04-13, 01:05
Thanks for replying Tessar. I think mine are hormone-related too, I don't think I;d ever had one till I started being perimenopausal. I just wish I could recognise the "mad" feelings for what they are when I am having them. Made it though the day without too many painkillers. Unfortunately all my work is "casual" so I have to take it when it's there. I don't double up very often but I can end up working a lot of days in a row at times. Far from ideal but both my husband gave up his job through ill-health and then I lost mine because I had ME. I'm thankfully doing a lot better as I'm now the main wage earner but we're carrying a lot of debt from the "bad" years. As for some of the guys at work, I'm afraid that's an ongoing issue in one of my workplaces. Too much testosterone and big egos lol. I've still been a bit anxious today but not so bad. Just another of these things to overcome. Hope you've had a good weekend and thanks again, I really appreciate it x