PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety on lustral

Anxious chick
31-03-13, 16:46
Hi all
This is my first post. I visited my doctor after feeling very very low and depressed for a couple of months. He prescribed 50mg of lustral which was nearly 5 weeks ago now.I did not suffer from anxiety but since taking this drug I suffer extreme anxiety in the mornings (every morning) which does not pass until lunchtime. My depression seems better but I just can't cope with half my day because of this anxiety. I don't want to go out or see people and find it very difficult to have interest in anything.
I understand that I must give it time to work and my doctor has asked me to give it longer but the anxiety shows no sign of going away. If anything in the last few days it has got even worse.
I am sleeping well and the nausea has passed, just left with the anxiety.
Does anyone else have similar experiences? Is this drug not right or me or should I hang in there ?

sunshine1
31-03-13, 21:31
sorry I do not know anything about this medication. I know that often antidepressants can take 6 weeks plus to kick in. I think often anxiety is the last thing to go when starting new meds. I would give it a bit longer and go with what the GP says.
x

maro111
01-04-13, 00:04
Hi Anxious Chick. I started Sertraline which I think is the generic form of Lustral 6 weeks ago tomorrow. Only in the last couple of days am I starting to feel a little better. I take it for anxiety and depression and like you I feel much more anxious in the morning. It seems to kick in more for me around late afternoon. Having said that my mornings are gradually getting better. Unfortunately these tablets can make you feel worse at furst until they kick in which from what ive read usually happens arounds week 6 to 8. I wouldnt be writing on here as normally would be too nervous, so they must be working :).

I would say stick with it if you can for a couple more weeks and hopefully you will get some relief from the anxiety and start to feel better in general.
Mark

Anxious chick
01-04-13, 08:36
Thank you for kind thoughts but I don't understand why this drug has given me anxiety so badly when I did't have it in the first place and I am taking it for depression which seems to be lifting.
Is it possible that the anxiety will disappear also in the next couple of weeks?? Has anyone else experienced the onset of anxiety when taking this drug and how long did it take to get better. I will persevere for a couple more weeks until I see the GP again but I do feel pretty desperate about my situation as the anxiety is worse than the depression ever was!!

maro111
01-04-13, 14:07
Hi sorry I couldnt answer your question fully as I had anxiety before. From what I have read, sertraline is a stimulating anti-depressant which can make anxiety worse for the first few weeks before it makes it better. It can make people jittery and feel generally on edge at first. It may be that this could happen to people who dont havent any pre-existing anxiety. I guess its like when drink too much coffee for example. I really feel for you. Your doctor may be able to prescribe you something to calm your nerves until the sertraline kicks in.

hopey
01-04-13, 15:15
to Anxious Chick. So sorry to hear how you are feeling. But you hav e helped me in a wayh. I have been on Fluoxetine for almost six weeks and I really was beginning
to get anxious that things are not really better. Have had three days when I was a
bit better pm. Si its a relief to know someone else feels the same. Thanyou Hopey

Anxious chick
02-04-13, 10:24
Thank you for your comments.
I know that I have only been on this drug for just over 4 weeks but in the mornings I feel so much worse than before.
Should I continue for more time and hope that the anxiety will stop, feel that I am becoming a different person and losing control of my mind and life.
I am seeing doctor again next week but feel I am being destroyed at the ,moment and it is all so hopeless.

Can anyone else offer hope please and tell me that they have the same experience on this drug.

abdul
06-05-13, 09:17
Hi Anxious chick,

I suffer from severe anxiety and I've been having some sort of morning anxiety that was manageable to a degree. When I talked to my phsyc he put me on Lustral 50mg and told me to increase the dosage to 100mg by the second week. I am on my 5th day and my morning anxiety is sky high. Worst than anytime before !! I am suffering from this morning anxiety so bad that I feel I cant go to work and I am loosing control over my thoughts. But I do believe that in a few more weeks when the body adjusts to the medication, the anxiety will go away, or at least settle to a point where I can handle it. At this moment I am writing this I feel really terrible.

I really wish you the best and for your symptoms to go away.

hopey
06-05-13, 12:02
Maro111. reading letters. So pleased you feel confident enough to write on this forum Lets hope you are on the way.
I am on floroxetine for almost 8 weeks am still hoping !!!!:shrug::shrug:

xreasontodreamx
08-05-13, 11:57
I also have this problem.. I was on 75 and now gone up to 100mg, I'm 15. I take Lustral for anxiety, but recently ive been feeling more worried and low, like impending doom. I don't want to feel like this and I'm worried I'll end up getting severe depression or something. I only feel like this in the mornings/afternoon. Is this normal and will symptoms ease? :/