PDA

View Full Version : Shallow heavy breathing

Bonnibelle
01-04-13, 19:31
This isn't usually an anxiety symptom for me, usually its dizzy head, weak limbs, shakes, racing heart but recently I'm suffering from a heaviness feeling in centre high up in abdomen and shallow breathing, it makes my anxiety worse:( I'm not sure how to get it to ease off. I must be scared of it to keep the symptom there, I'm worried it will cause a panic attack so I am on edge, all day its been there and I can't relax.

Does anyone else suffer from this with anxiety?:/

potato11
01-04-13, 19:45
yeah, the breathing issues from anxiety suck!!

Basically you need to concentrate on exhaling for longer than the inhale, as when we're anxious we like to do a lot of breathing in, but not an awful lot of breathing out.

So we fill our lungs up and leave a fair bit of "residual air", then we breathe in again, which creates a bit of a build up n tension

So don't forget to breathe out and you'll find it improves :)

Bonnibelle
01-04-13, 19:56
Thank you very much. Do you get it in that area? Its below the chest in the centre, between ribs in the squishy area as I call it. That area is heavy and I feel short of breath, the feeling causes me anxiety, can feel the adrenaline rush around:/

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

My husband says I'm focusing on it and and that will cause it to continue:/ I rest and it gets much better but as soon as I walk around it comes back:/

potato11
01-04-13, 20:09
Yeah. That's the area where your diaphragm is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracic_diaphragm

You probably already knw but that's the muscle used to expand and deflate the lungs

and as it's a muscle it's prone to the effects of tension

When we're anxious we tend to tense our stomachs (fight response) and breathe from the chest, instead of "abdominal breathing" where we use our diaphragms fully

So in anxiety the diaphragm is tense and not being used to it's full potential to help your breathing. Explains the "heavy feeling"

Try to relax your stomach, rising your belly with each breath, remembering those important exhales

Do you know much about hyperventilation - basically it is not the fact your lungs can't expand enouh to get adequate air/oxygen, its the way your using them is actually giving the body too much, with those shallow quick breaths

We actually only need very very little amount of air/oxygen per breath

Bonnibelle
01-04-13, 20:20
Thank you for your reply, I feel alot more reassured. That's what I just said to my husband, it all feels tense, I'm holding my throat muscles tight, my jaw, my stomach but I can't relax my stomach. When I breath in I bring my abdomen in, is that right?

Usually we aren't aware of our breathing are we, but when anxious its like we control it and it feels heavy. I feel out of breath:/

potato11
01-04-13, 20:43
No problem, glad it's helped :)

Yeh, imagine youv got a book on your belly or something and you're making it rise when you breathe in, then just let it fall down with the exhale

The breathless thing is I think to do with both the nervous system encouraging us automatically to breathe faster, using muscles we don't usually - so we associate this with danger/anxiety

Then the hyperventilation affects oxygen transfer to the organs/muscles, which send a signal to the brain saying "oi give us more oxygen" so the brain goes "ok I'll increase the breathing n get us some more oxygen!" so a bit of a flaw in the system haha

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

The reason it affects oxygen transfer is because when we overbreathe, we deplete the carbon dioxide levels in our blood - even though it is a waste product, we actually need c02 in certain amounts, as it acts as a signal to the blood cells to release oxygen from the cells to the organ - and when we mess this balance up, blood cells whizz on past muscles/organs that need oxygen because theyre not getting a shout from the c02 that says "let off some oxygen here will you!" - its known as the bohr effect

c02 also calms the nervous system and acts as a pretty powerful dilator - of blood vessels and air sacs in the lungs etc

so when we wash it out of our bloodstream by overbreathing, we get a bit of constriction - in our lungs, vessels, muscles etc, which also explains some of the sensations - dizziness due to reduced blood flow in the brain is one

But don't worry it's not enough to cause you real harm

Bonnibelle
01-04-13, 20:43
Thank you. I shall be trying that. I've had a horrible day with this breathing and anxiety x

potato11
01-04-13, 20:53
aw I feel for you. I've had a pretty rough day too - was out last night, had 4 hours sleep, woke up at 9am to go Bank Hol shopping (kinda had to go as was going for a meal for my parents wedding anniversary too) AND I came on my period (sorry TMI) but I always find I notice my breathing a few days before n after my period.

Reading up on it, theories are that the hormone progesterone (which increases up to your period then drops after it starts) plays a part in encouraging increased respiration, leading to hyperventilation. So a bit more info for you there!

Anyway I had a pretty breathless day, despite all my knowledge, sometimes the sensations just run away with your imagination and you convince yourself you're not gonna see tomorrow!

plus I was hungover. All the above is an amazing cocktail for panic haha no wonder I felt like I did

Bonnibelle
01-04-13, 22:00
Oh yes, exactly why I stopped drinking as the next day is feel terrible anxiety wide.

I also only had 4 hours sleep so that's not helped:/

My anxiety isn't usually so bad at home, I've suffered worse since I was attacked by my 'brother' six months ago, I'm now battling agoraphobia and panic disorder, isn't easy.

Your help has been much appreciated:)) xx

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Ps I'm always much worse anxiety wise when I come on my period too.