PDA

View Full Version : Going crazy with Anxiety

PieFace
01-04-13, 22:30
Hi all,

New here, the other day I called 999 after having a panic attack, fearing I was having a heart attack.

I'm, 22 male and have been for various Heart scans, ECG, Echo, Echo stress test, 24h holter and bloods. I am VERY health aware and pains etc make me very worried.

Most of of the time I can feel my heart beating and if I have a palpitation it scares me!

My panic attack started while driving and was tired and aware of my heart beat, I started thinking deeply about it and my heart started beating hard and fast I had to pull over, had a weird pain/sensation in the chest, it calmed down and I got home still worried about it then it happened again and called 999.

I'm getting VERY anxious about every feeling in my chest now and worried about having another attack as its ruining my life.

I went to the doctors and they gave me a NHS leaflet to call, great help.....not. He also prescribed Citolapram 10mg, I have not taken them, are you joking the list of side effects and they increase your heart rate, cause palpitations and a few more in depth articles of them causing the QT Wave of the heart beat to be longer which can cause fatal arythmias, WHY HAS HE GIVEN ME THESE?!!?!?! lol. Serious I'm getting very angry at all this depressed, stressed you name it I feel like I want to explode.

Not sure how to deal with this, I wont allow myself to take any prescription drugs as the side effects are appalling useless useless.

Unable to take Beta-Blockers as I have Asthma too.

starlight78
01-04-13, 22:38
Hi there. Welcome to NMP. There are so many people here that will relate to the symptoms you are describing.
I understand your hesitation with taking tablets, especially with your health anxiety. In truth I would say that if you read a paracetamol insert it will list huge numbers of side effects. You will totally fine on the meds. Also I would say given the number of tests that you have had you, more than the average person can be sure that your heart is working perfectly. Have you been offered CBT?

You will get through this! It's early days for you and that is the scariest because you haven't realised yet that these horrible symptoms and thoughts cannot and will not hurt you. They just feel horrible! Hugs

PieFace
01-04-13, 22:42
Thanks for your reply, yeah I've been given a number to call for CBT. I've always been like "how can talking to someone help me" etc, but its getting to the point where I NEED to do something, so I'm going to call them when there open tomorrow and see what they say and get an appointment, not sure if I can use my private Bupa insruance for this? (work provide it for me, if I still manage to work there, I've been off ill a bit ><)

footballking
01-04-13, 22:52
I was the same man, mine escalated to other fears once I got the all clear for my heart through an echo and stress test. So make sure that you get help immediately, otherwise it will escalate to cancer fears.

PieFace
01-04-13, 22:58
I was the same man, mine escalated to other fears once I got the all clear for my heart through an echo and stress test. So make sure that you get help immediately, otherwise it will escalate to cancer fears.

I do ignore my heart now knowing its fine, but I have had other fears, appendicitis was one I had for a few months, its crazy stuff man!

footballking
01-04-13, 23:02
I do ignore my heart now knowing its fine, but I have had other fears, appendicitis was one I had for a few months, its crazy stuff man!

Yep, I'm only 20. It's bad man, I just can't snap out of it. Everyday I am consumed with fear of two main things/ Mostly melenoma cancer. I can't snap out of it. Have you took diazepam or anything?

I too was offered escitroplam (lexapro) but I don't want to take it. It would just increase my fears, but a lot of people do take it.

Don't know what to do atm. I'm in a rut.

JaneC
02-04-13, 01:32
PieFace, I hope you have managed to calm down. According to the NHS website increased heartrate is an UNcommon side effect of citalopram, affecting around one patient in 1000. The QT thing was found in higher doses, meaning doses above 40mg are no longer prescribed. Hope this helps.

bshadar
02-04-13, 14:17
Hi... I am new to anxiety too and my GP has given me 10mg citalopram too when I was diagnosed last wekek - I have started taking them and although it is only a few days I can honestly say they have started to help,

PieFace
03-04-13, 20:27
Yep, I'm only 20. It's bad man, I just can't snap out of it. Everyday I am consumed with fear of two main things/ Mostly melenoma cancer. I can't snap out of it. Have you took diazepam or anything?

I too was offered escitroplam (lexapro) but I don't want to take it. It would just increase my fears, but a lot of people do take it.

Don't know what to do atm. I'm in a rut.

Nope just got the Citalopram, still not taken them yet lol. Dont worry, im taking Zantac for acid reflux and rarely people get pancreatits, so thats on my mind and also gall stones!

I want to take the Citalopram but its hard, its good to know, not good you have it that other people are the same! Where you living?

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

PieFace, I hope you have managed to calm down. According to the NHS website increased heartrate is an UNcommon side effect of citalopram, affecting around one patient in 1000. The QT thing was found in higher doses, meaning doses above 40mg are no longer prescribed. Hope this helps.

Cool thanks for that! Do they actually do any good for Anxiety like am I going to feel a difference? They gave me 10mg tabs

CharlieM
03-04-13, 20:43
Preface, my first panic attack was also while I was driving and sounds exactly like the way you described yours. That was 6 months ago, and I also had all the tests which came back normal.

Recently, my anxiety has been ever present, but my symptoms are slowly changing. I am getting burning skin sensations and flushes/ adrenalin rushes now. I convinced myself that my heart is ok, but the underlying anxiety is still playing havoc with my body.

My doctor also prescribed me with Paroxetine but I haven't even opened them because like you I am scared of the side effects. Having rid myself of heart attack concerns, the last thing I want to do is take medication that could bring back those concerns.

I am following a great piece of advice at the moment. Have a read of this- it does seem to be working SLOWLY.

http://panicend.com/index.html

Read all 3 pages.

Charlie

Bekzie
03-04-13, 21:39
Preface, my first panic attack was also while I was driving and sounds exactly like the way you described yours. That was 6 months ago, and I also had all the tests which came back normal.

Recently, my anxiety has been ever present, but my symptoms are slowly changing. I am getting burning skin sensations and flushes/ adrenalin rushes now. I convinced myself that my heart is ok, but the underlying anxiety is still playing havoc with my body.

My doctor also prescribed me with Paroxetine but I haven't even opened them because like you I am scared of the side effects. Having rid myself of heart attack concerns, the last thing I want to do is take medication that could bring back those concerns.

I am following a great piece of advice at the moment. Have a read of this- it does seem to be working SLOWLY.

http://panicend.com/index.html

Read all 3 pages.

Charlie

Great link Charlie thank you for sharing, I am going to look through this site later :)

CharlieM
03-04-13, 22:09
Bekzie,

It really is a good link. Well worth a read. I had a panic attack last night and followed the advice. Been fine today except for a minor moment. Really calm now and looking forward to a good night's sleep.

:hugs:

Charlie x

Want_to_break_free
03-04-13, 22:10
Citalopram is the first line of anti depressants....worked a treat for me with hardly any side effects!!

PieFace
04-04-13, 17:22

Read all 3 pages.

Charlie

Thanks for your reply, thats strange im getting them weird burning / tingly feelings all over my body from time to time, now thats given me hope its linked to anxiety!!