PDA

View Full Version : Cat trouble

ElizabethJane
02-04-13, 22:33
I would like some advice on the plug in gadgets that release cat phenorones. Do these items really work? I have major cat trouble at the moment. Phoebe my elderly cat has scratched my arm rather badly but only because she wanted to escape from Bertie. He is fascinated by Phoebe and they eat and drink out of each others bowls! I went to sit in the conservatory and Phoebe who could see me through the glass roof cried loudly to be let in through the bathroom window.There is always lots of growling and hissing from Phoebe but Bertie does no hiss or growl only chases Phoebe around. I am off to Italy on Saturday so the cats will be left to their own devices. Any suggestions? EJ

lisa1975
02-04-13, 22:48
I haven't use a plug in but believe their really good their a forum called pet forum lots of cat lovers with lots of knowledge .

JaneC
02-04-13, 22:52
Hi EJ. We have similar issues and I've considered this too but haven't used it so far. However my friend had what I think was called Feliway for her very nervous rescued siamese and seemed to think it was worthwhile. x

Annie0904
02-04-13, 23:13
I have used the feliway spray to stop my cats from scratching the stair carpet but I think the plug in might be best for what you want. It is worth a try.

Zingything
02-04-13, 23:51
Hello EJ
I have used the Feliway plug-ins for a number of years and I can notice a difference in my cats behaviour.
I generally use them when I am having any work done on the house, builders, decorators etc. in an attempt to relax them a little during any noisy disruptions. I plug it in in the lounge where they spend most of their time and often I find that when the plug-in is switched on they come to me for more cuddles.
I have never had a problem really with their behaviour, other than a bit of furniture scratching now and again, which I resolved by buying another scratching post and positioning it next to the arm of the chair they were scratching. I imagine the plug-in may have a relaxing calming effect on most cats. It is worth a try and can't do any harm.
I have to say though that the plug-in unit and refills aren't particularly cheap, especially if you are considering purchasing from the vet. I find that Ebay is the most cost effective method at the moment but if you need it by the weekend it might be your only option.
Best of luck, and have a nice trip x

Bekzie
03-04-13, 00:38
Hi EJ
I have used the feliway diffuser too, I got mine from a local tesco so if you are near one you could try there. They work great for my cats :)

swgrl09
03-04-13, 16:15
I've used the plug-ins ... I'd buy it on Amazon (refills too) ... originally got it from my vet, and it was quite expensive. I had it because my cat would urinate on the rug on purpose for attention and the vet suggested it. I don't really know if it helped or not. There is also a spray that I tried on spots she had previously marked, but not sure if it did anything. Either way there are some good deals on amazon

Edie
03-04-13, 16:32
I personally didn't notice any difference when I tried a Feliway diffuser, but I have many friends who recommend them highly for improving relations between two cats. I also didn't like the smell myself. Humans aren't supposed to be able to smell them it at all, but I think this just proves that I am part-cat!

Anxious_gal
03-04-13, 20:27
Could try growing some cat nip? I hear cats love the stuff n it might keep them entertained :)