PDA

View Full Version : Any one else with Anthophobia?

MrsStobe13
03-04-13, 00:54
Not to be confused with anthrophobia, the phobia of people, I have anthophobia. A phobia of flowers, this seems to be quite unusual and maybe a little bizarre, but I learnt today that Queen Elizabeth suffered, so at least there's a famous face to share my awkwardness with!

But yes, I have a serious phobia of flowers. So much so I passed out in a DIY store because of a watermark lily. I was fine one minute them bam, on the deck and woke up in an ambulance 20 minutes later. Some flowers I can handle, like roses or coronations, if I hold the stems and don't go anywhere near the heads I'm fine, but if a petal touches me I throw the lot down and try and wipe my hands of contact with the plant like it's some sort of hazardous chemical. I know mentally they can't harm me, but I can't let go of the idea they might either!

I've tried all sort of things, hypnotherapy, CBT, ERP and self-guided or assistance with family and friends. As a kid I was fine but since I turned 8 it's been a no-no. I think it came from a programme I was watching about a lad who fired a gun at an exotic plant with a big thick stem, making a hole right the way through. The plant fell on him and the sap from the plant made contact with his skin and killed him. Not sure whether such a plant exists but it was tall with a pink tubular flower and white spots. Too scared to google it! It's to the point I'm even carrying foam flowers for my May wedding otherwise someone's going to get a face full of flowers prior to the bouquet toss!

Does anyone else suffer with this bizarre phobia? If so, is there a particular species that does it for you? I can't look at anything with visible stamens or the other middle bit (forgotten what they're called) because I go all cringy. Flowering trees and passion flowers are my worst nightmare! I can't normally look at the flowers on exotic fruits, either!

MrsStobe13

Bekzie
03-04-13, 00:59
Hi MrsStrobe,
I have never heard of that phobia before so thank you for sharing info about it.
Was there an incident or something particular that started this phobia for you?

MrsStobe13
03-04-13, 01:04
Bekzie,
I think the TV footage I mentioned above was partly to blame. I also remember going to a garden party (my Dad was a beekeeper) and picking some geranium seed pods with my brother for the owner of the house. I pinched one pod and gave it a gentle tug and a tulip bowed towards me, showing me everything in the centre. I think between those two events flowers now terrify me!

MrsStobe13 x

Bekzie
03-04-13, 01:17
Sorry MrsStrobe, I misread the part about the tv footage when I first read your post.
Its funny how we take in certain information and it stays with us as we get older, but someone dying from plant sap is scary even though very rare :ohmy:
Congratulations on your up coming wedding too :)
xx

MrsStobe13
03-04-13, 01:20
That's no problem, I'm good at misreading things! lol.
I'm actually so unsure whether it was real or sci-fi, I'm just too scared to find out in case I have myself up all night worrying over it! I used to even avoid woodland in case I saw a plant like it...doubt we'd get anything like it in the UK! lol

Thankyou! :)

MrsStobe13 x

mjj54
08-05-13, 19:21
I have anthophobia, specifically jimdandyphobia (fear of dandelions).

I've had it since I was about 5. I can't go to parks in the summer or walk near them either. I hate it but over the years it's become normal for me. I hate them the most when they die, they really freak me out.

xxtickledpinkxx
19-05-13, 20:45
I've literally joined this forum simply because I found this post about Jimdandephobia- I've never known anyone else to have this phobia as it's so specific. The yellow heads don't bother me, nor when they're green buds but as soon as the white dimpled seed head appears I feel like dying a little inside :wacko: Like you I've had it since I was about 4-5 and my parents found out when walking me through a meadow and I was screaming and jumping in the air to avoid them- the phobia itself hasn't improved as I'm now 26 and if anything it's possibly worse. Haha Quite funny really, also I appologise if I've posted on an old thread!

sarah21kitty
20-07-14, 20:27
Hello... Ive got anthophobia. I didnt know that my problem has a name and other people have it. I am afraid of flowers of certain colors like pink and white but im ok with yellow flowers. Its funny cause i really love the color pink just hate the pink flower. They remind me of funerals

TravelingDirtBunny
02-08-14, 22:00
Hi there,

Anthophobic here :) I've had it since I was 3 and nobody can really explain why. I've tried all sorts of therapies to no avail. The one thing that's been helping me a bit is haptotherapy, which may or may not be available outside the Netherlands.

Yes, living in the Netherlands is a bit of a challenge but I do like it here. Exotic flowers are the worst for me and there aren't all that many of those here. The biggest problem I have no matter where I go is a**holes who try to see what happens when I get near flowers or try to "treat me," like my roommate has decided to do, which is making everything worse, on top of making me search desperately for a new place to live :(

I only found others like me a few years ago. For better or for worse, we're definitely not alone!

arpita
29-12-14, 20:04
i have anthophobia since when i cant remember... but chinaroses ..those stamens n gynoecium freaks me out totally,,,, even the petals r disgusting..feel embaressed socially....dont know how to get rid off this..
i hate flowers.. nasty things :mad: :lac: