PDA

View Full Version : first time ever in Diazepam advice plz

gregcool
03-04-13, 19:35
Hi guys..im strugglingbwith anxiety and depression and have been for 9 yeats..iv just seperated from my wife of 15 years and two kids..living with sister..etc etc..been twi weeks now and im not getting any sleep so im seeing a chrises team and have been given these meds.5mg..i was told to tske one at nigjt and one am..to help with mood and sleep.i took one at night the other day and didnt feel i slept,and woke feeling more anxious...my doc has now told me i mafe my self anxious worrying about it..he has told me to now take a total of 10mg at nigh and non in the day...what can i excpect if i take 10 mg tonight......as in will i feel tired and sleep. Will i wake tom and feel calm....if he orig told me to take one in the day surly that would make me tired all day ?? So im confused with them.
Are they for sleeping or something eles.thanks

bernie1977
03-04-13, 19:45
Hi Greg,

Take the tablets when you go to bed and lay down to sleep. If you take them and carry on with things you can pass the drowsy feeling.

Diazepam don't stay active in the body for long, when I was on them I never felt groggy in the morning. I'm on Trazodone 150mg and that sends me straight to sleep but sometimes leaves me groggy. Did you get taken off Trazodone?

I've just looked at the leaflet for Diazepam and it says 5-15mg for sleep anxiety to be taken before bed. For anxiety it says 2mg three times daily. For severe symptoms 15-30mg daily taken in divided doses. So from that I think your Doctor has prescribed you for sleep anxiety.

Good luck and I hope they work and you get a good nights rest x

almamatters
03-04-13, 19:50
I took diazepam last year for several months, I took 5 mg last thing at night so I could sleep , they definitely worked for me as far as a good nights sleep goes. I used to then take 2 mg during the day, but they made me so tired I literally could not function, I did not notice any effects the next day after taking diazepam at night but then again I only took 5 mg. I hope you have a positive experience with these meds and that you sleep well . Take care.

gregcool
03-04-13, 19:55
Hi Bernie..im still on thev traz..he told me as iv been on the 50 mg so long its worth staying on them..and im slowly increasing them and will try and get up to higher dose...so these will make me sleep you say...

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Cheers almamatters..ill take tonight and go straight to bed ...last time i took one i just felt a bit odd..unlike when i took tamazapan..which i felt tirednes..so just a bit concerned..as i say i felt a bit odd kind of spacy but druged feeling..was that just me anxiety thinking about them

bernie1977
03-04-13, 19:57
Well at 150mg they work a treat for me Greg. I was going out of my mind with insomnia on every other antidepressant I'd had but Trazodone has a sedative in them that works for me. I went from 50mg to 75mg and had no problems so I then went to 150mg which is the lowest dose for the treatment of depression and anxiety. If youre taking them just for anxiety the maintanance dose is 75mg. These are the only pills that haven't given me any horrible start up or increase symptoms. I hope they work for you x

almamatters
03-04-13, 19:58
I did feel quite spaced out when I first took diazepam, it was not a horrible feeling just weird. One thing I can remember about them , is how quickly they used to work, usually within 20 minutes with me.

gregcool
03-04-13, 20:02
Did you fall to sleep quickly after that spaced out feeling

almamatters
03-04-13, 20:08
Yes I did, I used to sleep right through normally and work up feeling pretty good ( I mean not spaced or anything ) I personally did not like the numb feeling they gave me, but they helped me through a seriously bad time and like Bernie suffered no side effect whilst on them or coming off them. :flowers:

dally
03-04-13, 20:22
Hi,
I take 4mg, if I am having a bad pa. and it usually calms me down and puts me to sleep. If I am having a super duper pa I take 6 mg and that really gets me to sleep quickly. I sleep all night and wake feeling normal next day.

If I have had to do something like dentist or doctor during the day and need to take the Valium, I can feel a little bit 'drugged' but that's better than the panic and I only take them when I 'need' to do something.

If using thm to help you to sleep, get ready for bed, toilet etc, so nothing will disturb you and let the Valium do its job.

gregcool
03-04-13, 20:24
Thanks guys...are they brst to tske with or without food

almamatters
03-04-13, 20:28
Thanks guys...are they brst to tske with or without food

Did not matter with me, I was not eating well at the time, so I probably took them on an empty stomach. I would check the leaflet and see what it recommends.

bernie1977
03-04-13, 20:35
It doesn't specify with or without food so it doesn't matter.

Let us know how you got on tomorrow Greg, hope it's to say you had a good sleep

gregcool
03-04-13, 20:37
Cheers buddy...ill give em a go latter..only bloody prob for me is,my sisters son is a dustman andvgets up at 5am and i hear him wake as he is next door on the otherside of a stud wall.and takes about a hr to bloody leave..so when i wake from him...Thats it..i cant go back...no matter how tires i feel...

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Thanks Bernie

Annie0904
03-04-13, 20:42
Hi Greg..I have taken them to help me sleep and they worked wonders. I just got into bed popped them in my mouth, closed my eyes and as if by magic I was asleep. They didn't make me feel drowsy the next day. I also take a small dose if I go on a flight or if I am nervous about a hospital appointment etc. I take them without food.
I really hope these work and you get a good nights sleep. I think if only you could catch up on sleep you will start to cope better with everything else. :hugs:

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Maybe try some ear plugs as well so your sisters son doesn't wake you x

clio51
03-04-13, 20:52
Greg,

I can hear your feeling anxious about going to bed already, don't get it in your mind I'm going to sleep tonight as this thinking is putting pressure on yourself.

You can take them with/without food, like the other person says get yourself ready do what you have to first toilet teeth etc then get settled. Try not to think about sleep(hard I know) but hope fully the diazepam will kick in after20 mins and you'll drop off.

Take care x

As anni says ear plugs, or some cotton wool, I have to half these as my other half breaths heavy drives me mad I like it very quite so I can drop off.they work for me. Also when I take diazepam in day it's doesn't drug me just relaxed bit more.

gregcool
03-04-13, 20:59
Annie me to..im sitting hear now with such a pain in my head and behind my eyes because im soo tired...
I might try and goto bed at 10-10.30...only prob is my sister and hubby dont go untill 11.30 and are up and down making cups of tee etc up and down the hallway past the room im in....so i sure hope these knock me out so i dont wake

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Sillly me...i meen Clio..