PDA

View Full Version : Brazepam

Scotsllass1957
03-04-13, 20:27
Hi There. I'm new here stumbled across the site while looking for something else. I would like to know if anybody out there could perhaps give me some clarification on a question regarding medication. I have been on Brazepam or the past 20years and find it to be the only Tranquiliser that is suitable for me. I have tried to stop taking the meds but after 2 days I am in such a state I have severe panic attacks. I am planning on going home to UK soon and I believe that these pills are not available there. Is this true? And also been told the doctors there will not prescribe meds like these. Anyone with helpful info or advise for me. Thank you

chicaplatense1
05-04-13, 02:00
I'm not from the UK but here in the States I take Klonopin. It really helps me. I never heard of Brazepam. If you want to wean out of an Anti-Anxiety medication you might want to go on Anti-Depressant. I would ask the doctor if that's an option for you. You might also want to ask him for an Anti-Anxiety medication during the first 4-6 weeks that you take the Anti-Depressant because Anti-Depressants take about that long to really kick in. They can work well for Anxiety without creating the dependency that Anti-Anxiety medications result in. I hope you find a medication that works for you. Best of luck!

starlight78
05-04-13, 08:54
Hi there,
I've never heard of that benzo being prescribed in this country. Are you coming back to UK permanently? If so the GP is likely to prescribe you another benzo in its place, but probably would want you to start reducing and switch to something else for anxiety.
I don't think there are many GP's who would refuse to prescribe you a benzo if you could evidence that you have been taking it long term as prescribed by your doctor.
Maybe you could chat it through with your current GP? They could provide written evidence or have ideas of their own? Good luck x

Pipkin
05-04-13, 09:42
Hi there,

I checked the NHS prescription cost analysis which lists all the drugs prescribed by the NHS and I couldn't see Bromazepam which is its generic name. That said, I may have missed it.

I agree with Starlight that it's probably best to talk it through with your current GP or even a prospective one in the UK. They may suggest a change to another benzodiazepine and then to agree a tapering off schedule.

Good luck

Pip