PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause MS like symptoms?

Anxiety Jim
03-04-13, 22:13
Hi,

For years I've been getting headaches that I assumed were migraines, right behind my right eye with the pain spreading across the right side of my head.

For a year or two I've not had great balance, often going over on my ankle when walking, but managing to 'catch' myself before hitting the ground.

For the last 2 weeks only, I've been having trouble getting my words out, I'll freeze mid sentence, and just can't think of the next work. It's happening ALOT, so much so that people have been asking if I'm OK?

It's not that I can't find the right word to say, it's I can't say any word at all when I freeze up.

Could this be anxiety related? Or should I be concerned that it could be MS? I've never been worried about MS before, my health fears are usually heart related or some cancer of the lower abdomen.

Carly Lou
03-04-13, 22:17
I have had the same symptoms as you... especially the getting words out... googled and well... MS came up.. I dont really have any advice but atleast you know your not alone...
My fears are around cancers and the MS thought has worried me too
my balance becomes odd but thats usually if im feeling axious..
x

JaneC
04-04-13, 01:17
Absolutely Jim - anxiety symptoms can be very similar to those of MS. That's why it's a common fear on here.

Cesc
04-04-13, 04:05
Hi,

Anxiety can manifest iteslf in many ways. However the neurological symptoms are extremely common due to the fact anxiety is technically a disroder of the brain and the nervous system will then produce all these symptoms which makes people like us even more anxious and the symptoms even worse!

meche
04-04-13, 10:05
Hi Jim,

All of your symptoms are anxiety related - either that or there are alot of us on here with MS.... what are the odds of that!

Exactly as you describe, I had all those symptoms last year - all on the right side of my body. Even today, when anxiety isn't an issue (at the moment) I still get odd twinges or forgetful with words. If I thought about it too much I could start to convince myself I have MS (again) but I refuse to go there again. xx

zippy
04-04-13, 12:49
I am currently having an ms scare. I had vertigo, left sided headache, left sided head pressure, left watery eye, fatigue,etc and I just don't feel right. My gp kept saying its anxiety but I asked for a brain ct scan which he said nothing would be on because he had done neuro tests. He rang me to say there were 3 lesions on it and I have to see a neurologist and have an mri and possible lumbar puncture.
I am not saying this is the same for you because anxiety does mimic ms.
I don't even know if I have ms but there is something going on up there.

Anxiety Jim
04-04-13, 22:11
Thanks for the replies everyone, it put's my mind at rest, at least a little bit. I've had this headache thing behind my eye for about 2 weeks solid now.

I've had it before and I'll no doubt have it again. It's just this with the combination of not being able to get my words out all of a sudden that's got me worried.