PDA

View Full Version : Freak Out over Any Pain - Anyone else?

CrazyCool
18-09-06, 14:30
Does anyone else freak out over the smallest pain?? And think the worst. I have been feeling a small pain/twitch in my upper left stomach and I keep thinking the worst - it goes away pretty quickly, but I still freakout. I dont' want to go the doctor because I run their for every ache and pain and I heard that reassurance seeking from you doctor for every ache and pain will make you worse.

Is anyone else like this? It seems like I go months and have no eposides and then boom - it hits me like a truck - my health anxiety is back in full force.

manmoor
18-09-06, 16:59
Hi Cc,

I know how you feel. At the moment my health anxiety is sky high and I feel like I'm losing control. I torment my doctor for reasurrance and when I get it I feel an overwhelming sense of relief but it doesnt last long. Hope this helps.

Take Care

Mandyxx

ruthb1
18-09-06, 19:07
hi,

i know exactly how you feel, i have had health anxiety for 2 years now although i have stopped going to the doctors overe the slightest pain, sometimes you feel you just cant help yourself and need to go. its a horrible thing i seem to have something everyday, but what i hate about anxiety is that whatever you are scared of thats where the pain will hit you, for example i am petrified of having a heart attack and i always get pains in my chest. dont give up the only advice i would give you that has worked for me, is try and stop going to the doctors try and go 1 week without going (says she who would be there everyday) and then it will get to two weeks and so on and also dont google and dont read medical books as this will re-inforce the issue even more, i wont even now read my local paper as it has deaths in there and i get really morbid ( sad or what)

sorry to go on but hope this helps a little

take care

ruth

boy
18-09-06, 23:24
Yep, pain after pain. You just think, it's caused by something, it has to mean something. I also keep having good spells and then bad ones. It's nasty.

net
19-09-06, 15:49
i used to until i got m.e 16 years ago it semed to cure my health anxiety.

but you're right going to doc all the time isnt a good thing as it can make your anxiety worse

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

flutterby
19-09-06, 20:50
Hi,
I know how you feel i get scared at the slightest pain, espaecially when they are in the same place for long periods of time. I think im figuring that its associatrd with stress, I find relaxation exercises work to stop me thinking about it.

I used to be at the doctors quite often, i'm learning not to now as it was just reassurance i wanted.

Flutterby xx

Mable
20-09-06, 00:07
Hi,

Yes, any little pain is usually interpreted as the worst. I automatically think I must go to the Dr, then I manage to convince myself to wait a day or two, by which time I have a new pain to worry about!

The only trouble are the recurring pains, for me throat, lungs, breathlessness, as I am so fearful of lung/throat cancer. Right now my throat is quite tickly and irritated. In March of this year I saw an ENT surgeon who looked down my throat with a camera and said all OK, but I still think I could have throat cancer. I had a chest x-ray last December which was OK, but I still think I could have lung cancer. And if not now, then soon.

Seeking reassurance is a short term solution. The only long term solution is to switch off the anxiety! And if that were easy, we wouldn't all be here!

Good luck,

Mable