PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody :)

Snoodlester
04-04-13, 14:43
Hi there

I've just come across this forum in the hope that there might be someone who can help, or at least understand what I'm going through.

Thinking back I've been suffering from anxiety all my life, albeit relatively mildly. But about 3 years ago my anxiety fixed on my driving, making me have panic attacks whenever driving along dual carriageways, roads with no stopping and eventually at traffic lights. My only solution at the time (and still is) was to try and avoid these situations, or when approaching traffic lights, pull over until the lights were about to change to avoid being 'trapped' in the traffic. I went to see my GP and she put me on anti-anxiety medication, which worked at first, but I realize now that I could have done with some therapy. It then increased to my being anxious when being a passenger. I can only travel with certain people, and with the knowledge that they won't drive along certain roads, and definitely not motorways. Depending on the length of the journey, I can just about manage it, but I usually suffer from all the anxiety symptoms until I reach the destination, and then I feel exhausted from the effort. But I've recently learned to use breathing techniques which has helped a lot.

I could just about get by with my avoidance techniques, however a new thing has appeared which is much worse than anything I've ever experienced. I became ill just after Christmas, and it gave me all the symptoms I associate with anxiety - only this time at night. As I live on my own, I now associate night-time with isolation and it's making my anxiety worse. I'm now anxious all the time, I can't sleep and I get what I can only describe as night terrors from being alone. I'm on new medication from the doctor, and I'm on a waiting list to see a CBT therapist. With this new level of anxiety and sleeplessness, I have been staying with my parents, but unfortunately they don't live close to where I work, so it's starting to affect that too.

It seems really hopeless at the moment, and I don't seem to be getting help quickly enough. I've been reading various articles, but they just refer to distraction techniques, but of course I can't really do these at night just before bed when I'm trying to switch off, but if I don't do something I just lie there extremely anxious all night, and get up tired and exhausted. The other advice I've been reading is to sit with someone, which of course I can't do when I'm at home on my own. As you can imagine, I feel much better when I'm staying with my parents as I've got the comfort of knowing they're in the next room if I need them. I know I will have to go back home soon, so I wondered if anyone else has experienced this? Or if there are any tips to help me switch off my thoughts.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sue x

Mark13
04-04-13, 15:51
Hi Sue. Welcome aboard. You've certainly found a good place to be.

I'm sure you'll find lots of support here, as I have.

hanj16
04-04-13, 16:24
A big welcome to the site Sue :). As Mark said, its a great place to be. I hope you find it provides you with alot of support (it certainly has for me in the very little time I've been on here).

Wishing you the best
Hannah

Snoodlester
04-04-13, 18:56
Thanks guys. I've been looking around the site, and it seems to be helping already!

Sue x

Bekzie
04-04-13, 19:24
Hi Sue :welcome:
I get this way at night time too although I don't live alone, I live with my children. If I am having a bad night I log on here for a while before going to bed just to remind myself I'm not alone in feeling this way. If it a really bad night I use my bach rescue remedy that seems to take the edge off and I relax enough to fall asleep. Sometimes I need to use kalms night time or herbal nytol too.
You are not alone Sue :)

Snoodlester
04-04-13, 19:40
Thanks Bekzie

I always used to use bach rescue remedy at night - use it all the time during the day, but didn't think it was working any more. I tried something similar to Nytol when I was first ill, but I was so stressed out even prescribed sleeping tablets didn't work. Now I'm more relaxed generally, perhaps these things will work for me now too.

It's comforting to know I'm not alone :)

Sue x