PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys!

matt94
04-04-13, 19:33
Hi! My name is Matt and I'm 18 years old. I live in New York.

I've dealt with GAD, panic disorder, and several phobias since I was 7 years old. It seems to run in the family. Unfortunately I did not respond to many of the SSRIs I was put on for a number of years, and missed many opportunities due to anxiety. Things began to look up in 2009, I suppose.

Up until December I was virtually anxiety free, and had conquered many of my fears! I was taking citalopram and receiving CBT for a while and eventually did not need it anymore, I suppose. I went on a roadtrip without my parents 800 miles away, and went on cruises with my family. I felt my anxieties were easy to tackle.

After a year of being off of medication, I was on top of the world. I had two jobs and was working 50 hours a week and just had returned to school. My mind was under constant stress trying to balance everything. But I had a girlfriend, and great people in my life. I had everything to be thankful for.

However, my anxieties came flooding back in December beginning with persistent intrusive thoughts. I also got sick many times and felt like my immune system crumbled. I tried starting Fluoxetine, and felt more positive(yet still anxious). After two weeks on the medication I found I was having horrendous panic attacks right before bowel movements. I had a dry mouth which made me anxious in itself and couldn't work the cash register because my memory was shot. I gave up on fluoxetine altogether.

Eventually it became so much to handle that I quit my jobs and dropped out of school just to stay at home. Now I'm pretty much agoraphobic. Even at home I cannot escape my anxiety, though. My hands are constantly cold and my breath is shallow. I have this persisting fear that I will lose control of my breath and panic. It is all that is on my mind from the minute I wake up to the time I manage to fall asleep.

I now cannot see a psychiatrist due to my agoraphobia, and the only way I can get my county to send a support team(therapist, psychiatrist) is to submit a psychiatric evaluation. Unfortunately, my previous psychiatrist is elderly and currently in the hospital. I feel as though the thoughts are getting more power over me every day.

Even when I do see a psychiatrist they will just put me on another SSRI. Unfortunately I know all too well that it gets worse before it gets better in that realm. I was taking Citalopram 60mg for a couple of years, and I suppose it was working(or I was just dealing with my anxieties better naturally?). I cannot let it get any worse, though. I cannot wait 3-6 weeks to see the tiniest glimpse of improvement. SSRIs suck. I have heard good things about Buspar, though...

My parents think I need medication and should be hospitalized because I cannot receive adequate care under my circumstances, however this idea is horrendous to someone who has agoraphobia and severe anxiety to begin with. I'd have to be sedated the entire time to get there.

It feels like the universe is working against me. I know nobody deserves anxiety.. I just always wanted to be a good person, help others, and make the world a better place. But for some reason I was chosen to be afflicted with this. Oh well. Just hope tomorrow will be a better day, I guess.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

What kind of treatment is everybody here doing? Whether it be medication/natural/self help.

Bekzie
04-04-13, 19:45
Hi Matt :welcome:
It sounds like you are having a tough time, is your therapist going to refer you when he comes out of hospital?
As for treatment I am waiting for CBT, using herbal tablets and bach rescue remedy to help my anxiety.
I hope you start feeling better soon :hugs:

hanj16
04-04-13, 19:51
Hi Matt,

Welcome to this site and so sorry to hear that you are having a very tough time right now. I'm sure being on here will provide you with support, it's a great little community. I can relate to you in that I've had had to drop out of a few jobs and out of uni because I couldn't cope. I have social anxiety and whilst i find it really tough getting through each day, I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is for you. It sounds like your family mean well but do you find them a source of support? I can't really help you on the medication front I'm afraid as I am trying to avoid going on it. I'm hoping to have cbt to change the way I think, i've heard many good recommendations for this therapy so I think it's worth trying. Hopefully a psychiatrist can visit you soon. If you feel comfortable, phone them and be persistent that they send someone out to see you. I know it doesn't seem fair, often these kind of anxieties we have hit people who are good, decent people but I promise you will get better and things won't seem so bad. If you ever need to chat, drop me a message.

Wishing you the best
Hannah

Lilharry
05-04-13, 05:37
Hi there! Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time, it really isn't fair is it :( Maybe you could try some of the modules on this online course - you can do it in your own time and don't have to go anywhere, which makes it ideal for someone in your situation http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

Thumbelina
05-04-13, 06:12
Hi Matt,
You sound like you are brave and strong as you have been having it all since such and early age. It is not going to last forrever as you already have been in a good place. Each of the episodes do seem stronger every time as every time we have more imagination, experience and anticipate more. Could you think of taking yourself out of the house to doctors as the trip that will definately relieve you from this pressure? All you will have to do is just to reach there like to run a marathon.
It all must be frustrating for you but you really sound like a strong enough young man to handle this challenges. As for the medications and other remedies you really should only take advise from your doctors as diff meds are good for diff age and circumstances. I am taking half of the dose that doc prescribes me and I think it works for me, but it doesn't mean it's good that I take this risk.... I just think its better for me to up the dose only if I am in a really bad shape. This always helps a bit to me as I think - ok I am not there yet...
This site is a tremendous help I don't get tired of saying that. Also positive self talking, is a massive tool. Even when you are in a really bad place there is somebody out there whose circumstances are much worse. So putting ourselves in a right place helps to reduce these disproportionate dispair and depressive feelings that panic and anx gives us.
Take care Matt