PDA

View Full Version : New symptoms - difficult to put into words!!!!

CharlieM
04-04-13, 19:57
Good evening everyone :hugs:

I have posted a few times, but something very odd is going on with me. In October 2012 I had what I believed was a heart attack. Was rushed to A&E, had ecgs, bloods, chest X-ray, enzyme test for heart attack, etc. all ok, so was sent home. Obviously I was relieved, but also a bit freaked out. In December I had a similar episode and was back in A&E. same tests run and again all ok.

I then did a stress ecg, which was fine. By now I was seriously worried, and for the last 4 months have become increasingly concerned about my heart. In effect, I have developed Health Anxiety.

I was prescribed Propanolol 80mg slow release as the only explanation offered by doctor and cardiologist was that I had had two panic attacks.

When I got near the end of my 56 day propanolol prescription, I went back to see my GP. He said that I could come off them safely as I had only been using them for 8 weeks. I was happy to do this. Throughout this whole period of 4 months, I have had discomfort in my left armpit, tingling sensations in my left arm and hand, and stiffness in my neck and jaw. Very rarely does the pain radiate to my chest, but when it does, I feel the butterflies building in my stomach.

Last week, I found an excellent article via this site and have definitely convinced myself I haven't got a problem with my heart. I try to embrace my anxiety and ride through any panic.

All good, or at least I thought so!!!!

It's been two weeks since I suddenly stopped the Propanalol. I expected a slight increase in my anxiety, but now I am getting new symptoms.

The only way I can try to describe them, is I suddenly feel cold deep inside. In my bones almost. As soon as I feel this, my neck and arm feels like it is burning and my head flushes. I get tight across my chest and I feel instant panic. I still apply my new found 'embrace it' technique, and after approx 1-5 mins the sensations subside.

So first question, anyone else get this?
Second, could this still be propanolol withdrawal?
Third, should I go back and demand yet more of the same tests, or should I be asking for a different type of test?

Also for info, I don't get headaches, never vomit, no loose stools and my appetite is fine.

What the hell is it????

Thanks for reading this long post :D

Charlie

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Also to add, I am 43 male and very rarely get these symptoms at night (I actually sleep well as long as it doesn't strike after I go to bed before I fall asleep). I also don't get them when I am really busy. And nearly always when I am sitting, rarely when I am on my feet.

CharlieM
05-04-13, 09:26
Has anyone got any advice:weep:

Please???

Pinktel
05-04-13, 11:46
In many ways you have answered your own questions and. concerns.
You don't have the symptoms so much when occupied, busy, asleep... So you have them when you are sitting around unoccupied or relaxing... Is pathology so considerate that it only gives symptoms when it is convenient? What disease dislikes disturbing your sleep or work activities?

Someone without neuroses would barely observe the phenomena you are experiencing, and if they did they would dismiss it as one of those things and never dwell on it. Once you allow it continue attention you will nurture it marvellously until you are quite practised at sensing it. It will become easier and easier to torture yourself with these feelings, which by the way sound like classic panic sensations to me.

Are you practising any CBT daily?

I have no experience of meds as have battled for many years without but I can say that CBT is THE preferred method of treatment nowadays, I do not believe the vast majority of people need to have their bodies tranquillised, their nervous systems dampened or their seratonin reuptake blocked.

If we need to boost our seratonin should it be slightly depleted, exercise is the most natural and effective way.

CharlieM
05-04-13, 11:58
Hi Pinktel,

Thanks for replying. I have downloaded the packs a few weeks ago. In fact it was working through them regularly that allowed me to convince myself that my heart was ok. I also have dropped my safety behaviours and face the feelings/physical sensations head on. Like I said in my original post, they subside pretty quickly.

I too do not want to be on medication. I have some Paroxetine in a drawer but haven't taken any.

Went out last night and was fine. Slept well again. Woke up this morning and after about 30 mins the dreaded butterflies returned. No symptoms yet, just the usual tension in my neck and shoulders. Your point about 'pathology so considerate that it only gives symptoms when it is convenient' is so valid. I keep telling myself that if something was seriously wrong then it would be there regardless of what I was doing!!!!

Still not sure whether I should go back to GP or just ride it out.

Thanks again

Charlie

Pinktel
05-04-13, 14:02
Going to the dr may give you much wanted reassurance but I guess in the long run it will have done nothing to boost your confidence in yourself to tell fantasy from reality.

When we have the mindset of health anxiety it is all too easy to then set up a new set of symptoms.

Have a read on these health anxiety threads, some of the symptoms people express get downright ridiculous. The level of specific intimate detail on some totally random complaints is intriguing and yet comical.

Have you ever watched Monty Pythons "Life of Brian"? There is a scene at where lots of prophets are speaking of impending doom and the coming of the messiah and there is one at the end rambling on about 'things that were lost... And no one will really know where lyeth those little things with a raffiah work base which has an attachment..."

The lists of ailments reminds me of this scene, people rambling on about very specific peculiar things which have great intricate detail but which are totally meaningless and irrelevant.

Yes, there ARE instances of doctors misdiagnosing or missing a serious case of something or other, but we have to keep in perspective how rare they are.
If somebody on these forums was collapsing under a crushing pain across their chest, struggling to breathe and all the rest, would they really be sitting on here typing up their symptoms and waiting for random strangers to diagnose them?

Clearly it's not easy to convince ourselves we are well. Some of us struggle with this for some reason. but GPs train for a long time and the vast majority do a grand job. By all means visit your GP but realise you will have done little to develop your own senses regarding your health. Your anxious mind will soon find a new scary set of symptoms to confuse you with next week...