PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new: Bi-polar & Anxiety is my concern

Divan
04-04-13, 19:01
Hi all,

I came about this site per chance but it looks great, it is just as
well that I'm here because today is an important one regarding
the developments of my Bi-polar II diagnosis. As of today
I am terminating medication, but more on that in a moment.
My main concern is anxiety as I may also have General Anxiety Disorder,
I'm not entirely sure, in South Africa we don't have great access to
public mental health. It may or may not be so but it is from bi-polar at
the least. My diagnosis came about in 2011 after 3 crippling panic-attacks
forced me to do something about it. For most of the time I had been
taking Seroquel and which helped reduce anxiety and "mend my broken mind"
over a long period, slowly. The side-effects are unwanted, being a sedated fatter and less-alive version of my "real" self.

So over time every few months I dropped my Seroquel dosage from 200mg to 100mg, then 50mg and now the last 3 months at 25mg. Every time I decided that the anxiety has reduced enough to wean off it I would then feel
anxious and nauseousness until I got used to the new dosage. I feel that way
one faces the problem better than just popping pills "for the rest of your life",
hell no, I want myself back! But first I face another round of "morning sickness"(I'm male by the way) and then we will see how it turns out.
No pain no gain...

So the reason for me providing that detail is that it may be important for
someone to tell me something about my decision, I'm sure that some would
easily jump to say how unwise it is, but bear in mind that I continually learn
more as I go along and in dealing with anxiety in other ways, including the
diet etc etc. The other reason for saying all this is that I may be helpful
to others.

I hope to engage in constructive contact with you,
Divan

Bekzie
05-04-13, 00:31
Hi Divan :welcome:

JaneC
05-04-13, 01:07
Divan, welcome and good luck with being off the meds. I can't say how it will affect you but I have a bipolar friend who refuses to take meds and they do sound like nasty stuff.

jschnepp
05-04-13, 03:19
nice to hear from you . I have the same issues. you are not alone. I would like to talk to you sometime about how you deal with it. I am on new medications and am wondering if they are helping or hurting. What has Seroquel done for you in a positive sense? I am on a combination that has made me feel like a "real Person" not a zombie who just exists and isn't sure why. I am scared that the good feelings i am having will go away eventually and i will be left trying to "get off" another drug

Lilharry
05-04-13, 05:22
Hi Divan! I wish you all the sucess in the world with coming off your meds. If it works for you, then great! It's certainly worth a shot. I'm sure you will find a lot of like minded people on this forum :)

Thumbelina
05-04-13, 06:50
Hi Divan,
I took myself off the meds forthe last 2 years out of my 7 y of GAD, I was feeling great and slowly started missing tabs and later stopped totally. Relapse came 2 y after aNd I am taking them again now, but no regrets at all. Even doc justified my decision, he said you felt good for a long time, weaned yourself off very slowly - its ok. Maybe next time it will be 4 years with no relapse, or not. What ever it is there is no rules for that. Our reaction to circumstances around us causes us to relapse. The thing is it was happenig all naturally and I was not even thinking of weaning off, I slowly started forgetting to take them, then would take on an anxious day, and then forget for weeks,months,,, I would literally forget forsome periods that I ever had panic attacks...
I had this strong opinion before that I didn't want to be on tabs for life, but now I changed it and if I need a bid of help with meds - let it be - it doesn't make me seing myself as weak at all.
Sideffects of both getting on and coming off can be much worse then the symptoms of anx itself though. For me only getting on the meds first time was hard - took 6months to stop having sideffects.
Take care

Divan
05-04-13, 11:01
Hi JaneC,

Your friend may need to take medication to help smooth out the symptoms of bipolar, I refused "fake synthetic pills" until I couldn't take it anymore, but it is worth the while
to take for a period and then reassessing the situation later on. I had a friend who was
BiPolar I who hated medication and she had a couple of manic episodes which caused her a lot of trouble, but for her it seemed absolutely pertinent to take meds, she was way to crazy without it.