PDA

View Full Version : How to become mentally stronger?

busybee09
05-04-13, 10:59
I'm easily inspired if i watch something on tv for example, i admire quite a few people then i get this strong urge to stand up for myself and i feel like i want to change my life.......but as soon as i walk out the door that's all blown away.

Surely if i can have that feeling i do have it in me?? I'm just so frustrated at the minute because my anxieties getting worse yet my passion to fight it is high....and also im on a 10 WEEK waitin list for CBT :(

Anyone have any inspiration for me?

Thanks guys

smit
05-04-13, 11:46
Hey,
I'm the same. Positive thinknig was what helped me. It took a few months for it to begin to work. This time last year I was living in my bedroom spending the days crying and the nights panicing. I looked into CBT for dummies (brilliant book ;) and started by doing a few excersises from that and looking at my thought patterns to see what I was actually thinking. Sounds weird I know.
I soon figured I spent most of my time assessing my body to see if anything was wrong with it, and worrying about being out of controll panicing. So i started to notice it more, and then when I noticed it I would repeat encouraging phrases to myself. (for example its jsut panic, panic doesnt kill etc) . It took a while to work, but by starting off small I slowly built it up.
The other thing I've learnt so far is not to get frustrated! Once I accepted it , it was easier to remain calmer when I felt a bit on edge.
Hope my experience helps you put your desires into action :) You surely have it in you, but you cant expect miracles over night:flowers:
The moral of my post I guess.. one step at a time? :D

theharvestmouse
05-04-13, 19:54
Yes small steps but sometimes you literally have to force yourself to do the thing you want to do. An example, I signed up for an art class, first night I turned up and was in the car park and I just did not feel able to go into the class, but I had to stop thinking and literally focus on walking into the building and then walking into the room. By thinking of it like that I was able to do it.