PDA

View Full Version : Are there any medications that DON'T make anxiety worse before it gets better?

matt94
05-04-13, 17:32
Hey guys! I have really severe GAD, panic disorder, and agoraphobia, and have tried several SSRIs and it seemed to only make my anxiety and panic more intense, which is hard considering my position. I know benzos are prescribed to deal with the side effects, but I'm curious as to if there are any alternatives.

mrsnobody
05-04-13, 22:09
to be honest i would like to know if people have any answers to your question as meds dont seem to help me

Annie0904
05-04-13, 22:10
The only ones that have worked for me are tricylics

BobbyDog
06-04-13, 08:09
Tricyclics don't have too many start up side effects as Annie said, not for me anyway, also Pregabalin is quite easy to take and in my case did not increase my anxiety symptoms.

xtremx
06-04-13, 10:00
I agree with BobbyDog about Pregabalin it is a easy drug to take and from what I understand does not make symptoms worse as it is not a ssri..

But pregabalin is only used in mild GAD, panic disorder, and agoraphobia.

I have been on Pregabalin now for 16months and it has been for me a wonder drug.

little wren
06-04-13, 10:05
Pregabalin is a very easy medication to start up on (starting with small dose first). I am surprised how much of a contrast this is to prozac. However, I think its uses (in psychiatry) are limited to general anxiety only. The NHS website does say it can be used for agoraphobia if ssri's cannot be tolerated.

I have only been on it a few months.

hanshan
06-04-13, 11:13
In answer to your question, I would have to say, of those medications prescribed today for anxiety (which don't make anxiety worse before it is better) ...

Benzodiazepines (eg diazepam)
Pregabalin
Beta blockers (eg propranolol)

There are other drugs that are occasionally used like chlorpromazine.

Alabasterlyn
06-04-13, 11:16
I take Manerix, which is a reversible MAOI so doesn't have the same diet restrictions as the old version, but I don't find them to be as effective as the old MAOI's. However I experienced no side effects when I started on them.

hanshan
06-04-13, 11:25
Hi Matt94,

You might want to try pregabalin. It's not licensed for anxiety in the US, so you will have to get a doctor to prescribe it for you off-label. Please be assured that it is licensed for anxiety in the EU.

Bonnibelle
06-04-13, 22:35
Tryciclic meds are better for anxiety in my opinion. I wouldn't touch SSRI meds. Dosulelpin was great for my anxiety.

matt94
08-04-13, 00:25
Thanks for all of the responses, guys!

I am definitely interested in pregabalin!

I have a feeling that my psychiatrist won't be too keen on it though... especially because they may not have heard of it for anxiety use... many of the psychiatrists I've been to over the years are brainwashed to swear by the usual SSRIs and expect you to either tough out the side effects for a chance of relief, or give you benzos to keep you sane...

Emphyrio
08-04-13, 00:30
I take Manerix, which is a reversible MAOI so doesn't have the same diet restrictions as the old version, but I don't find them to be as effective as the old MAOI's. However I experienced no side effects when I started on them.

I've read about this recently - it looks great and have considered asking for it myself if the side effects with sertraline don't go away :( Its official name is Moclobemide but it is not approved for use in the United States.