PDA

View Full Version : Daily Mail article

fishman65
06-04-13, 15:59
On reading today's daily mail,specifically the article on pages 16 and 17,I've learnt that people with 'anxiety attacks' are not really sick at all,but simply treated as sick by a welfare system with more money than sense.

Well thanks for that daily mail,I always did wonder why I dreaded people finding out that I had anxiety/panic/depression.Because I was ashamed.But now I know that I'm not really sick,I can stop being a carer for my wife and go get a full time job.

Bekzie
06-04-13, 16:10
Wow its great to know we are not really sick, I feel better now... not!
There is no wonder there is such a stigma attached to anxiety, and no wonder so many people suffer in silence! Thank you Daily Mail Grrrrr :mad:

steveo
06-04-13, 16:54
Another fantastic and well informed article by the nations top medical paper, The Daily Mail. I'm surprised they haven't tried to blame anxiety attacks on immigrants or tried to say that anxiety attacks cause cancer.

fishman65
06-04-13, 23:33
I got really angry when I read it,if that's what a major daily newspaper thinks,then stigmatising of mental illness is alive and kicking.

mrsnobody
07-04-13, 12:07
wont be buying that paper again

steveo
07-04-13, 12:52
I'd rather read the daily sport than that right wing misinformed toilet paper.

I really wouldn't take what it says with any meaning. People who believe what the daily mail says have mental health issues themselves. Everyone knows that paper is an absolute joke.

Sparkle1984
07-04-13, 14:25
I'm assuming you mean this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2304776/The-Great-Welfare-Myth-The-chattering-classes-peddling-poisonous-myth--poor-survive-soul--deadening-embrace-welfarism.html)?

As soon as I saw the title "Daily Mail article" I knew it would be full of fail! Along with the Daily Express, it's my least favourite UK national newspaper. Most of their stories are exaggerated or not really true. For example, they focus so heavily on benefit fraud/"scroungers" when in reality only 0.8% of claims are false. This then stigmatises the genuine claimants.

I try to avoid the Daily Mail these days - even if there's a copy lying around in a cafe or a waiting room etc, I won't bother to read it!

fishman65
07-04-13, 14:54
I'm assuming you mean this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2304776/The-Great-Welfare-Myth-The-chattering-classes-peddling-poisonous-myth--poor-survive-soul--deadening-embrace-welfarism.html)?

As soon as I saw the title "Daily Mail article" I knew it would be full of fail! Along with the Daily Express, it's my least favourite UK national newspaper. Most of their stories are exaggerated or not really true. For example, they focus so heavily on benefit fraud/"scroungers" when in reality only 0.8% of claims are false. This then stigmatises the genuine claimants.

I try to avoid the Daily Mail these days - even if there's a copy lying around in a cafe or a waiting room etc, I won't bother to read it!Yup that's the one sparkle,5th paragraph down.I did mention this on 'Time to Change' twitter account,the campaign that's trying to reduce the stigma of mental illness.They still have a lot of work to do it seems.

Sparkle1984
07-04-13, 20:12
It's good that you mentioned it to Time to Change. :) I very much admire the work they do in reducing stigma. It must be so hard to get the tabloids to report the news more responsibly, as they often sensationalise things to sell more papers. I've always found the TV news to be more balanced in this respect.

Anxious_gal
07-04-13, 21:02
I think people with anxiety type disorders would be able to work if they were given the proper help and therapy n not simply just drugs n medication.

I didn't read the artical, most news makes me angry or depressed :(

little wren
08-04-13, 08:15
Thanks sparkle for the link - I have NEVER read the Daily Mail so didn't know which article the thread was referring to. All I can say is how 'effing patronising' :mad: (least of all the sensationalism of showing a photo of Philpot). I had heard the Mail was the paper which doesn't like immigrants, gays, the 'poor'...Each to their own I suppose....Give me the Guardian or even The Times any day!!!!

NumbForest
03-07-13, 00:37
Arghh, this has made me so mad! How dare they suggest we're not really sick? And if his friend really does feel he is not really sick, just treated as sick, surely then he could go out and get a job? Why doesn't he? Oh yeah that's right because he is SICK!! Srry for the rant, articles like this make me s mad!

fishman65
03-07-13, 14:07
Amen to that numbforest,the perception of mental illness exists in its current form because it cannot be seen.If we were all in wheelchairs,people would be falling over themselves to help us.