PDA

View Full Version : Propranalol - anyone experienced fatigue?

Davey63
06-04-13, 21:58
Hi,

I have been on Propranalol for a few months now and I was originally prescribed 40mg per day.

As time went on, this proved to be too high a dose for me as it gave me terrible, energy sapping fatigue. I honestly thought it was the end for me when one day I moved a few fairly light cardboard boxes and collapsed to the floor afterwards. Could not move for half an hour and took every last drop of energy I had left in me to get up. Went to A&E that evening because I was so concerned and they thought it was the Prop tablets doing it.

I now take 20mg per day and I split this into 10mg morning and 10mg before bed and feel much better for it physically. I do not understand how some people can take 80 or 120mg per day - that would kill me off for sure.

Anyone else experienced this awful side effect? I would be interested to know.

Magic
06-04-13, 22:22
Hi Davey,
All I can say is my husband takes propranalol and he is always wanting to go to sleep. He is on 40mg twice a day I think, he is in bed now,just gone.
He is tired all the time. He has a benign tremor. The tablets don't seem to be working either.Tremors no better

nomorepanic
06-04-13, 22:28
They slow the heart down so you will get more tired

Magic
06-04-13, 22:45
Thanks Nicola :)

JaneC
06-04-13, 23:36
The first doc to give me propranolol gave me something ridiculous like 120mg to start. I literally couldn't keep my eyes open. Went back to my own doc, who prescribed 3x10mg a day, which was absolutely fine.

bethanyjay
07-04-13, 10:45
Hi

I am on 2 x 10mg as and when needed, I have had no side effects with this medication, so it could be to much of a high dose for you. Have a word with your gp if in doubt.

Beth

ricardo
07-04-13, 10:56
Propranol is one of the few drugs that agree with me and yes they do slow the heart rate down but as is nearly always the case with me, they have the opposite effect and keep me awke if I take them at night.

I alternate between 30mg and 40mg twice daily , but if I take more the only side effect I get is a very dry mouth on waking.