This is my pretty Mitzi Cat:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/Tallulah550/Mitzi/8d5374ac.jpg

She loves to lie on the floor with her legs in the air:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/Tallulah550/Mitzi/6086b5b7.jpg

And she will investigate EVERYTHING:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/Tallulah550/Mitzi/RIMG0500.jpg

Once in a while, she can be very cute:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/Tallulah550/Mitzi/ef37b81f.jpg

I got Mitzi from a rescue centre in 2005. She was 6 years old. They told me, "you don't want that one, she's violent." But I did . . . and she was.

I don't know anything about Mizi's history other than that she was in the rescue centre for 3 years and they never expected to be able to home her because of her aggression. Things were pretty bad at first, but I've been very strict with her and eventually she has learned not to be aggressive. Other things I am more lax on, otherwise I would be telling her off all the time. So yes, she does jump on the table and eat off my dinner plate, but at least she no longer attacks me!

She is a very nervous cat, and that is the reason she gets aggressive. But as I've learned to recognise her triggers, and she has gradually gained in confidence, she is a lot happier and less aggressive. She still have her moments though, and I have always known she will never be a normal cat. My vet is scared of her and she has been banned from 3 catteries (luckily I live near my parents now and they come round and feed her when I go away).

She likes company and I often turn around to find her in the room with me. She sometimes sits on my lap or sleeps on my bed, as long as I don't stroke or cuddle her. It's a shame I can't cuddle her, as I love to cuddle cats, but we are mostly pretty happy together.

Mitzi has epilepsy. Most of the time she is fine, but when she gets seizures she has many in one day and it's really horrible. A few weeks ago she had her first seizures of this year. I was writing an assignment for uni, due in the next day, with poor Mitzi laid out unconscious on a blanket beside my desk where I could keep an eye on her. Every so often she would go into convulsions again. It was a horrible day, but I managed to cobble my assignment together and by the time I got home from college she was back to her normal demanding self.

The vet said we could do a brain scan, but it's extremely expensive, she would have to travel to have it done, it would be distressing for her, and there is no treatment for anything a brain scan would diagnose anyway. The vet says Mitzi's epilepsy might not have an identifiable cause anyway, or it might be caused by a brain injury. In those instances it would stay the same and she will just have the seizures forever. Or the other possibility is that she has a brain tumour, in which case the epilepsy will get worse as the tumour grows.

Well, Mitzi's epilepsy is getting worse. I noticed she was having occasional absences, and when she had a convulsions for the first time I realised the absences were seizures. Now when it happens she will have many convulsions and absences in one day, and she has recently started chasing and attacking her own tail.

So yeah, she's 14 years old now and really beginning to mellow in her old age. But I'm becoming aware that there are going to be difficult decisions to be made at some point in the not-too-distant future.

But for now she's a very happy and healthy cat nearly all of the time, who is in close contact with her inner kitten, and I love her very much . . . most of the time anyway!

One day she reached her paws under my duvet and dug her claws right into my bottom! I didn't love her so much that day.

Lilharry
07-04-13, 03:19
Hi Mitzi!

I loved reading your story about her, Edie - sounds like you have a very special kitty there. I'm sorry to hear about her epilepsy. That must be very hard to watch, but good to hear she is well most of the time. It's hard when our pets get older and we start to think about the decisions that might have to be made, but hopefully you don't have to worry about that for a long time yet.

I had to laugh about her being banned from 3 catteries and that the vet is scared of her! She reminds me a bit of our kitty, who does NOT like vets or other cats!

little wren
07-04-13, 08:12
It sounds like she went through a trauma before you got her. At least she has had eight years of love and attention from a doting friend. Just to add she looks incredibly elegant in her first picture - a beauty.