PDA

View Full Version : Back on SSRI, feeling better, but yet....

darline
07-04-13, 02:22
Hi everyone:
I was put on Lexapro in 2006 for generalized anxiety disorder. It helped. In 2009, I went off Lexapro because of cost issues, and took citalopram, which was what was offered very cheaply through my health care plan at work. It still helped with the anxiety, but I suffered very severe sexual side effects. I took it for another three years, then decided to taper off because of the sexual side effects and because at that time the generic Lexapro was very expensive.To my delight the sexual side effects went away immediately, but the anxiety came right back, and much worse than it had ever been before I was originally put on the medication. I tried natural remedies, cognitive/behavorial online stuff, etc. Nothing worked. I was so miserable that I decided to go back on Lexapro, with counseling, (which I hadn't done before). I was also given clonazepam. I had taken Xanax before, but I became so upset and tearful when it wore off that my dr switched me to clonazepam, which seems to work better. What does bother me is, the sexual side effects seem to have come right back. Has anybody else ever experienced this? I have only been taking the generic Lexapro about 2 and a half weeks, plus I am still taking .5 mg of clonazepam a day because I am still having some anxiety (not as bad as before). I do not remember having sexual side effects with the Lexapro before. I am very discouraged (though my husband of 35 years is very understanding). I feel guilty for messing up a very good aspect of my marriage, but I feel like I needed to be back on the Lexapro for my mental health. Can anybody help me with this?

Tessar
07-04-13, 08:10
Yeah I have. If I am feeling down and depressed then one if the last things on my mind is sex. I do feel guilty, like I am denying my partner an important part of our relationship. This has been going on a very long time and as I have been on and off fluoxetine for the last few years, which always kills off my desires I may have and interferes with how I may feel if I do have a go, it hasn't really helped. The trouble is that the benefits from taking it far outweigh this particular side-effect. My partner is incredibly understanding. We have talked bout it and she always says it isn't a problem, but that doesn't stop me feeling guilty.
Worse still is that actually I would like to become sexually active again but finding the desire is just impossible. I don't want to force myself against my will as I think if I did, it would make the act less about togetherness and love and more about performing a function to serve my partner. Perhaps it is time I stopped thinking about it and just tried to have a go. Someone did say to me I should just go for it. After a long time I think you become more self-conscious about it and that adds to avoiding the issue.
Hopefully I have explained myself well.... I don't often talk about this as its quite a sensitive subject but for anyone taking SSRIs I think it can be a huge issue.

darline
07-04-13, 17:55
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback
Darline