PDA

View Full Version : A mixed bag of symptoms ... HELP !!

djm
19-09-06, 15:54
Hi

I am a 37 year old male. 5’6” probably 2 stone overweight.

For the last two months or so, I have been suffering from what I believe to be Peripheral neuropathy, though it comes and goes and limits to 'Pins and Needles', no numbness. It is quite usual to have it in both feet and sometimes both little fingers (though sometimes just in my left hand. Sometimes indeed I get it in my left hand/forearm and nowhere else.

For the same sort of period, I have had a mild ringing in my ears too, though this varies.

I am a long term heavy drinker / smoker and fear that it maybe a side effect that I have read about.

I also think I have a slight 'ache' (rather than a pain) in my right hand side, just below the rib-cage (in the area of the liver). So obviously I am worrying myself sick about that.

I regularly stay up late and night and am probably sleep deficient.

I suffer from ‘night sweats’ and sweat profusely in the day, when others don’t even ‘glow’.

I also, however, have a history of anxiety and have previously been on SSRI meds.

How common is Peripheral Neuropathy ?

I know what I should do is abstain from drinking and smoking and change my sleep routine, but this is a lot to do in one go. I have tried for a few days here and there, but the symptoms do not seem to ease and I think withdrawl symptoms of my other vices start to kick in.

IF I am going to have a ‘symptom’ day, these symptoms are something that are there from the moment I awake, they don’t come on gradually as I ‘think about them’. I can have a run of a few days with no symptoms at all.

One thing I will say, is that the symptoms have got no worse in the 2 or so months. Am I right to take some solace from this, in that if it was something serious, it would have got worse and not stayed the same ?

I am too scared to go to my doctor, for what they might find and the extra anxiety I know that will bring on for fear of all the tests they will send me form (not to mention waiting for the results and fearing the worst).

Anyone experienced any of these symptoms, long term ?

Dave

Wannabeloved85
19-09-06, 16:01
hi dave,
I have no idea what Peripheral Neuropathy is lol but symptoms can happen long term, deffinetly, especially if your worried about thm and 'listening in' for them. have yu tried getting involved in somethin 100% like gardening or a hobby? if the symptoms go when you do that, your ok, if it was a real illness they would be there all the time.
My grandad suffers from pa's and anxiety and often gets pins and needles in his feet and only his 2 little fingers.
Ringing in the ears, thats very common, tension in your neck can pull other muscles {i knew the name of these at one point!} connected to the ear and open the eustichian tube allowing air in, therefore creates numourous souds like humming,wind sounds, buzzing etc.
Hope this helps.

Becci x

net
19-09-06, 16:03
i dont have peripheral nueropathy but i do get pins and needles whrn i'm anxious

do you give up smoking and drinking at the same time cos that can give you bad withdrawal try giving one up or if you smoke a lot cut down

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

djm
19-09-06, 16:18
Thanks guys for your posts. To clarify "Peripheral neuropathy" is nerve damage to the extreamities. This is something I think I've got, not something that's been medically diagnosed (apart from by Google !).

HazyMind
19-09-06, 16:26
Hi Dave,
Im sure what you are experiencing is anxiety.I have all the symptoms you have mentioned, they come and go like yours all the time in varying degrees.
Im sure if you went to see your doctor about this they would help put your mind at rest if you want the reassurance but i know waiting for test results is difficult.
x

Wannabeloved85
19-09-06, 16:27
ah! you have google-itous!! thats a bad bad disease lol and the dr google isnt relable, dont listen to him
Becci x

juju
19-09-06, 21:23
all of these, especially pins and needles with no numbness i have had.
it can be your subconscious fetching symptoms on also you know,
im pretty sure its anxiety, im no gp, but i have all these too. when i forget about them or are distracted they go, try to fetch them on by thinking about them, if they appear then its anxiety.
julie

we are all stronger people after having this

alicia123
20-09-06, 16:47
Sorry Dave, but you might have to bite the bullet, go see your GP and get the tests. You have to find out conclusively if there is a physical cause because if you don't you will worry, and if it is anxiety then that worry will feed it. Chances are that there is nothing physically wrong, but do yourself a favour and find out.

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
www.alphadynamics.com

Doz
22-09-06, 15:00
Hi Dave,

I can relate to some of your symptoms. I sweat a lot during the day and feel it's hot when others don't seem affected, it's part of the anxiety. Also with regards to your fears about your liver: I get a slight ache under my rib cage too, I now know that it's down to the position I sleep in at night (because sometimes it's on the left side). The liver has very few nerves in it so it is unlikely to ache or have any pain.

Over the last week, I have been trying self hypnosis, this has really helped me relax and the sweating has almost come to an end.

Hope this is of help.

Doz x