PDA

View Full Version : Up and at it..... Dealing with lethargy (spotting procrastination)

Tessar
07-04-13, 07:49
It's a miracle, well, sort of....... but I woke up this morning and WANTED to get out of bed...... How very odd, I'm not used to feeling positive but perhaps it comes as a result of making myself keep at it.

Last week, having read information about procrastination, I was determined to start fighting the lethargy. I'm by no means "there" but I do know how important it is to keep plugging away. Chiseling away bit by bit at the feelings of lethargy & laziness & working through the things behind these feelings too, also bit by bit.

It did help reading up about procrastination too. What came as a surprise is that I'm not actually being lazy at all. It's this darned procrastinating that is stopping me from doing things. I am just sooo very good at putting things off. if there were a qualification in it, i would probably have a PhD by now.

This is where i found the information procrastinating:
http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=50

Having read up about it, what I can see more clearly now is that it's a complex tangle of all sorts of things going on in a busy mind. I am a past master at procrastinating. You'd think that having learned about that years ago in Therapy I would spot the signs. But as you probably know, it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you get so deeply entangled that you literally are stuck. Unable to motivate yourself as and caught in a frustrating web of confusion.

But having been pointed in the right direction by my counsellor (who reminded me about procrastinating) and then purely by chance someone posting a link on here to various modules (thank you Lilharry) it was like a couple of doors opening for me and a bit of light at the end of the tunnel appearing.

Here's the link to all the modules on the site Lilharry recommended. They do all sorts of other things as well.... including depression, building body acceptance, self-esteem, facing your feelings, overcoming health anxiety, eating disorders, panic, bi-polar, worrying, shyness, perfectionism.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

For me, what seems to work best is breaking things down into smaller tasks, dealing with one issue at a time. Anyway, since I was feeling energised.... I just had to share my excitement with you. And if it doesn't last that long, not to worry because there will be a next time and a next time after that.

Annie0904
07-04-13, 12:43
Oh well I guess after reading through this I will HAVE to get back in that garden and pull out more weeds :sad::sad: Maybe it will rain, then I won't be able to do it :whistles::whistles:
Well done on feeling energised today :yahoo: but don't forget to take time out to watch Liverpool win :footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

PanchoGoz
07-04-13, 12:55
Oh I'm the worst procrastinator, I think it's why I spend all day on facebook even when I have things to do I end up doing everything just before bed! Cool that there's a course on it.

Tessar
07-04-13, 14:26
Well it didn't rain here. Yes Liverpool MUST win!!!!
Pancho, I do that at work. Sort of put things off but then suddenly realise I need to get stuff done before I leave and I end up leaving later than I'm meant to. Oh I'm always late in the morning because I can't get going. I would like to change that as although my bosses are easy going and don't mind because I always do my hours, it would be nice to leave work at 5-00 instead of 5-45 or later all the time. I need to get organised really.

Annie0904
07-04-13, 14:32
It has been sunny again here. I won't mention the Liverpool match simce you are not watching it yet Tessar.
I am always the opposite when I am going anywhere. I worry so much that I will be late that I end up being way to early!
I need to go and soak my aching muscles after more gardening :(

Tessar
07-04-13, 14:44
It has been sunny again here. I won't mention the Liverpool match simce you are not watching it yet Tessar.
I am always the opposite when I am going anywhere. I worry so much that I will be late that I end up being way to early!
I need to go and soak my aching muscles after more gardening :(

Just realised the match isn't on sky so it doesn't matter if you talk about it! C'mon 'pool score!!!

Annie0904
07-04-13, 14:53
I wish they would score!!!

Tessar
16-04-13, 11:50
Well, I am still sticking to my plan.... trying hard not to be lethargic & get on with stuff. Mixed results, the hardest part is just getting up in the morning. Once I do that, much of the rest follows. Reminds me there's something at work I've been putting off and putting off.... must go and do that.

Bekzie
16-04-13, 12:23
The links in your post are brilliant Tessar thanks for sharing. I am going to go have a good read through now.

The work books and info is very good, just what I needed today, thanks again :)

Tessar
16-04-13, 14:19
that's brilliant bekzie i'm really pleased. some one else put them in a post a few weeks ago & I've found them really good. the way they are worded is very clear & it all reminds me of what i learned in therapy.
i hope it goes well & will be interested to know how it helps you.

Tessar
21-04-13, 11:48
I had done much better for a week or two but then I didn't feel well last week. It was hard to keep going on this but i didn't slip back a long way. Today I don't feel like being Out in the garden but I am busy indoors so I'm not putting things off, more so I'm wanting to feel well rather than go mad outside & feel unwell again. But you know when you get that little pang of guilt...... I think I just need to lay off on the self-criticism.

Annie0904
21-04-13, 16:35
No guilty feelings allowed!! You work full time and have not been well all weeks so you have done amazing!!!

Tessar
21-04-13, 18:42
oh thank you annie. that made me smile.