PDA

View Full Version : DLA

Granny Primark
08-04-13, 15:44
Ive heard today dla is going be stopping. I only get dla at the lowest rate even tho ive worked until I was 55 and then stopped work due to panic attacks. My physical disability is trapped nerves in me kneck and a claw right hand. That was due to a head on collision in worcester. I dare say thats whats brought on my panic attacks.
Sorry I just needed the whinge.

Bekzie
08-04-13, 16:43
Hi Granny Primark
Yes I have read there will be big changes to benefits :ohmy: hope it doesn't affect you to much :hugs:

gypcyg
08-04-13, 17:06
The new benefit is called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and comes into effect today.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disability/personal-independence-payment/

You will be assessed by a private company who will earn a bonus every time they get someone off the benefit - I don't mean to stress anyone by writing that but facts are facts.

Look through the links provided here http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disability/personal-independence-payment/pip-faqs-and-myth-buster/

pinkdove
08-04-13, 17:39
yea i get the lowest rate too, and i expect it will be stopped, just another cut back for those people who are ill or disabled.

clio51
08-04-13, 18:12
Yer it's being changed to pip as above post says.

I get this to and with all the benefit changes I will prob lose it but not without a fight.
I had to go to tribunal for esa benefit, I have worked for 36 years till this illness took over big style.

Edie
08-04-13, 18:22
Only new applicants have to claim PIP for the moment. If you're already on DLA then you will stay on that for a while. I've had a letter saying I will be re-assessed in 2016. I can only hope that by that time, advocacy organisations will have worked out the best way to support people with applications!

As you're already on DLA, you're safe for a while, and stand a better chance of getting the right support when you come to make your application for PIP.

I think it's a bigger issue for those on middle-rate Care, as they are doing away with the middle rate and just having a 2-tier system. Some people currently on the middle rate will be moved onto the higher rate, but it's obviously a worry that some will be moved down to the lower rate and will suffer a loss of income.

It's obviously a worry though. I just try not to think about it, but I'm not sure that's the best way either.

pooh
09-04-13, 02:28
Was just reading through some of the myth busters on the government website. Those who have served in the armed forces apply for benefits equivalent to PIP but get this and I quote directly..
" FAQ: I am an injured soldier. Can I claim Personal Independence
Payment?• No. This payment recognises the unique and important role played by
the UK Armed Forces and is designed to streamline welfare support for the
most severely injured personnel. • It will ensure that individuals receive a
holistic package of support rather than being assessed separately for
different elements."

let me say from the word go that our armed forces should be cared for without question but, what I do question is why those who have served are assessed holistically and the rest of us aren't. That, in my humble opinion, is absolutely apalling. Every individuals disability should be treated with the same approach. I don't believe anyone will be able to explain away the distinction being made to me I'm afraid!

Pooh! x

---------- Post added at 02:28 ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 ----------

Sorry the benifit they can apply for is called AFIP I think.

Magic
09-04-13, 09:19
This country is getting in such a mess. I'ts un unbelievable. How much is it going to cost to assess everyone!!!!

Granny Primark
09-04-13, 15:03
What an abolutely pathetic mess this countries in.
I agree with some of what this government are doing but its people that are genuine that are suffering.
My word to this government is dont class us all the same cus the majority arent scroungers they are honest, caring and are decent people.

annette1
10-04-13, 02:07
I agree Lynn, its all a bit of a nightmare!

At present I am off sick with heart failure & rapidly reaching the point where I may lose my job & have to apply for benefit.

I am dreading it, the last time i did this I was off work with ptsd & was assessed fit for work even though my gp & psychologist didn't agree. It forced me back to work too early but with out benefit I was without income.

It seems to me these days that someone sat in a government office is given authority over the medical profession.