PDA

View Full Version : Helpful golden rules for overcoming anxiety

Linzi29
08-04-13, 20:49
Some Golden Rules I found when researching different therapies on helping to get on the road to recovery from anxiety, When I read this it helped me understand alot so I just wanted to share the information and hope it helps others :)

Prof.*Isaac Marks, one of the pioneers of exposure therapy, provides these “Golden Rules”:

1. Anxiety is very unpleasant but fundamentally harmless, i.e., fears of physical (e.g., heart attack) or mental (e.g., nervous breakdown) catastrophes are normally unfounded. (It’s also nothing to be ashamed of as it’s a natural “evolutionary” response and much more common than most people realise or admit.)

2. Stop trying to anxiously “avoid” getting into feared situations or “escaping” quickly by leaving the situation prematurely*because this simply maintains the problem.

3. Encourage yourself to actively face your fears as often as possible because practice makes perfect, i.e., the more often you enter feared situations the more easily you will overcome your anxiety.* (Think of the cliche about getting back in the saddle as soon as possible after being thrown from a horse.)

4. The longer you face them for the better, because anxiety is inherently temporary and will reduce (“habituate”) naturally if you remain for long enough in a feared situation, i.e., “what goes up must come down.”* Each time, anxiety is likely to peak at a lower level and to reduce more quickly and easily, leading to a more permanent reduction.

5. The more quickly you confront your worst fears, the more quickly your anxiety will reduce.* Start as close to the top of your hierarchy as you can.To this, most modern cognitive therapists would probably add,

6. Ban yourself from trying to do*unnecessarythings that make you “feel safe”, when confronting your fears, as these “safety behaviours” often prevent habituation and will stop you proving to yourself that you’re already safer than you realise.

7. Learn to question your unhelpful thoughts, images, and beliefs (“cognitions”) about exposure, e.g., “Something bad is bound to happen and I won’t be able to handle it!” – what evidence do you really have that things will be awful and you won’t be able to cope?

I hope this information was helpful in someway to you all :-)

Bekzie
08-04-13, 20:58
Hi Linzi
Some great tips there, thanks for sharing :)

Linzi29
08-04-13, 21:03
Hi Bekzie

Your welcome :)

steveo
08-04-13, 21:03
Lovely to read these. All of these things I have read many times before but it's always great to have a nice clear and concise reminder, especially today as I'm having a bad blip today.

Thanks for sharing :)

Tessar
08-04-13, 21:06
Spot on Linzi and thank you for sharing the information.

I was ok,with all of it except one bit that I read which made me cringe ...
Item 6 .... about "Ban yourself from trying to do*unnecessarythings that make you “feel safe"... I cringe because (a) I know it's right and (b) It reminds me that I have to spend time outside my comfort zone to get better

I am gonna keep at it!!!

Linzi29
08-04-13, 21:06
Hi Steveo,

I know wat u mean, its nice to have fresh knowledge because although we read up and learn things they are easily lost, :)

NE21 worrier
08-04-13, 21:07
Thanks Linzi.

A really good read with some excellent rules dealing with avoidance (esp rules 2-5).

Peter.

Linzi29
08-04-13, 21:18
Hey Tessar,

Yes number 6 is difficult but I see it as a strength as I know although the pain it may cause trying to implement this in the end it is vital for recovery,one example is if a man was flapping his arms around and someone said what u doing he said trying to keep the dragons away the other person would say there's no dragons, point made, if the man was to stop flapping his arms and walked around he would realise there is no danger, no dragon, no bad situation, but it takes so much courage to attempt to stop the safety strategies as they become ones comfort blanket, I understand how hard this is and i still have to apply thisbut i know it will be worth it, tht in its self gives me determination :)
Thanks for the reply, glad it helped

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Hi NE21worrier,

Thanks, im glad it helped:)

Lilharry
08-04-13, 23:09
I would totally agree with all of these, but I would also add that in order to do this you need coping strategies. Putting yourself out of your comfort zone without a strategy for dealing with it can end very badly and can make you even more fearful. I also found that the crucial thing to work on with anxiety is to find out where it really stems from. For me, the avoidance, the panic attacks etc were just physical manisfestations of something completely different that was bothering me. The real trick is to confront the core of the anxiety - the panic and fear are all just warning signs that something else is going on - well for me anyway.

ritaroo81
08-04-13, 23:19
These are fab tips and I shall be trying to implement them. My problem is I fear death so how could I practically deal with that i try not to skirt round the subject. I have conversations about it. And try not to not shut it out. It's a major reason for me having anxiety. Xx

Linzi29
09-04-13, 08:16
Hi lilharry,

I totally agree with you, in alot of cases people need coping strategies and they can help along the way only things is sometimes people begin to rely on coping strategies and find themselves going round in circle's as they aren't fully facing them, but I still agree tht some people need coping strategies because each person is different and copes differently, I just thought it was some good advice, not every technique works for each person, I just found them quite useful,

Thanks for reply, :)

---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 ----------

Hi ritaroo81,

Have you spoke to your GP, he/she maybe able to refer you to a therapist to help you try to manage your anxiety?

ritaroo81
09-04-13, 17:19
Hi Linzi
I have but he isnt forth coming, i have also self refered to our local Mental health service and i am awaiting a call back as the currently offer CBT and feel talking about it all may help. xx

Linzi29
09-04-13, 21:52
Hiya ritaroo81,

I understand wat u mean, its good tht u are moving forward and trying to get extra help though, I am also awaiting a call from therapists to see if I can try CBT, I have found that this type of therapy is highly recommended and alot of people go through this treatment. I see any extra help whether it be therapy, information or support to be very important and essential, how does anybody go about in the world without learning how to do things first, you have to learn to walk, eat, ride a bike, at school you learn new things, the news you learn about society today, so seeking help is no different, life is a learning process and some people just need that extraa support, and with anxiety we need usually all three, but with all the support, information and possible therapy, I hope we can all get through this,

just like to say thanks for replying to my topic, and I hope all goes well, if you need to talk just message me, I understand as I am going through anxiety myself but I find that extra bit of support is needed and up lifting, thanks for listening to me ramble on but I hope it helps u in some way:)

Lilharry
09-04-13, 22:58
I totally agree linzi. I use counselling to learn all the stuff I obviously missed out on when I was young. I find it fascinating and I love going to counseling sessions. I think keeping your mind open to learning new ways of thinking is the key to overcoming this.

Linzi29
10-04-13, 09:11
Yep thts a good way to put it lilharry, :)

Tessar
10-04-13, 15:03
I totally agree linzi. I use counselling to learn all the stuff I obviously missed out on when I was young. I find it fascinating and I love going to counseling sessions. I think keeping your mind open to learning new ways of thinking is the key to overcoming this.

couldnt have put it better myself; i was re-mothered in therapy. it made a huge difference to me. in counselling now, i am learning to accept the stuff that went on and exploring my emotions. i'm learning to accept myself as being an ok person. it takes time but the journey can indeed be fascinating too. it gives you an insight into yourself but also you are able to see what perhaps makes other people tick as well (or what doesnt).