PDA

View Full Version : volunteer work

littleme92
09-04-13, 15:07
Hi I only joined this forum yesterday so i'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place, sorry if it should be posted somewhere else.

I'm 20 and I have never had a job, well I got one last year but lasted about 15 mins before having a massive panic attack and having to go home.

I have recently applied online for volunteer work in a charity shop and have recieved a reply back saying i have to phone the shop. I am really scared right now in case I have another huge panic attack. The last one was awful!

I applied for volunteer work thinking it would help to build my confidence with less pressure. Has anybody else ever worked in a charity shop and did it help you?

Bekzie
09-04-13, 15:32
Hi Little me
I am applying to do volunteer work too for the same reasons, still waiting for responses. I think it will do you good, there is a lot less pressure and they will be more understanding. Give it a try and if you do feel panicky tell them. It will give you something to focus on and keep you busy, it could really help you :)

PanchoGoz
09-04-13, 15:46
Hi! I have been a volunteer in Sue ryder for about 10 months and I love it :) it distracts me from my anxiety and depression, you get the oppertunity build up your people skills, experience on a till, and the best bit is knowing you're wanted. All sorts of people apply to volunteer for lots of different reasons and you will make some new friends :) It's a lovely thing to do and I did my last shift today for easter, going back in the summer though. It will make you feel very good about yourself, go for it!

chicaplatense1
09-04-13, 16:31
Hi,
I applied to volunteer at a Hospice... I know, most people would think this is kind of Depressing and Anxiety provoking. But during one of my relapses with Panic my husband's grandma whom I love dearly,was dying. I would sit by her bedside and she seemed so peaceful and every so often would open her eyes and hold my hands and look at me with so much love. Somehow sitting by her and being there gave me a sense of peace and comfort. I cannot explain it.
I also worked in the Mental Health field for a while and while doing this kind of work I was feeling good.
In addition to applying to volunteer at the Hospice, I also signed up to foster care a small dog. Dogs provide good company and the fact that there is no long term commitment to care for the dog takes pressure out of it if I end up deciding that it is not for me.
I am also thinking of doing some volunteer work at a children's center. I know this seems like a lot but I am used to either working full time or going to school fulll time and for the first time in years I have no job (until I start school for my Master's degree in July).
Everyday I wake up and I think "oh no!! I have nothing to do!! How will I fill up my day today so I don't start thinking?" and this thought makes me panic. Everytime I have had a relapse that I cannot shake it has been a time when I had too much time in my hands or I was doing something that did not keep me engaged enough. I feel that if I was very engaged in the community I would not have this much worry. I think volunteering is good because it keeps you occupied without the pressure of an actual job.

Lissa101
09-04-13, 16:42
I had a great experience volunteering at my local dog rescue centre when I was too ill to work. I'm sure once you overcome your initial fears it'll be a fantastic experience for you. Best of luck! x

littleme92
09-04-13, 17:05
Thank you for all of your replies:)

I just phoned the shop up and have to go in for a little interview on thursday!

chicaplatense1 - So sorry to hear about your husband's grandma but i'm happy volunteering at the hospice helped you.

Edie
09-04-13, 17:37
I wish you luck on Thursday. I reckon it will be more of a "two head check," where they just make sure you aren't a total weirdo with two heads before offering you the position. Charities don't have the resources to interview several applicants for the same position. They just choose the one who looks best on paper, then meet you to check you're OK.

I think this will be a really good way to build your confidence with less pressure, exactly as you hope.

I volunteer at a wildlife rescue centre and I really enjoy my work there. There is much less pressure. Many people can't manage some parts of the job due to various health problems and we all just do what we can. One of my colleagues is 73 now and she struggles a bit, so we just ask her to come in if we are a bit short, and send her home early if we can. If I need a day off I just tell them, "I won't be in next week," instead of having to ask for permission. It's much more relaxed than a paid job, and enables you to take on however much you feel capable of.

littleme92
10-04-13, 17:16
Thanks Edie, that two head check made me laugh:D