PDA

View Full Version : propranolol

prawny
21-06-04, 14:33
hi
i suffered a severe anxiety attack yesterday and took myself to a&e. i was given 2mg of diazipam and told to visit my gp. the diazipam worked. i have just returned from my gp and he has prescribed propranolol 20mg twice a day and has given me 28 x 2mg diazipam for emergencies. i have been reading about propranolol and everything states it shouldnt be given to people who suffer with asthma. my gp is aware i have asthma and just warned me that my blue inhaler wont work if i take propranolol and if i find my chest gets worse to stop taking them. i feel so confused and am contemplating not taking them and just using diazapam when i feel anxious! does anybody have any advice? does anybody no if it is just high doses which can cause problems with breathing?

thanks
dawn x

Meg
21-06-04, 14:41
Hi Dawn,

I would certainly not take these betablockers if you have any active asthma at all.
If you had a diagnosis of asthma as a child and havn't needed an inhaler since, then it's less risky.

The betablockers have been given to you to stop the racing heart and physical symptoms of anxiety. They are not an anxiety cure, you can do without them.

Look forward to supporting you through this. Do post more in introductions.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone